Agnostic.com

9 6

Meal Prayer

When I sit down for a meal with my religious friends, they always run through the seemingly endless meal prayer at 100 mph. It sounds like someone announcing side effects for a drug ad on tv. Do they really think their time had been well spent and that God is listening to their speedy, unintelligible babble?

MyrnaMyrna 4 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ha ha. Tax and soul extra. Prayer may vary. Please see your doctor if you have any religious side affects.

lol

I always wonder the same!!

Well, at least it is brief. My ex tends to give god prolonged advice.

I always pray that it's good, or worth the money when eating out.

It reminds me of when an athlete thanks God for winning as if God wanted the other team to lose, or when the U.S. says God bless America because this land mass and it's people are #1 on God's list. It's all nonsense. Some of it is marketing and some of it is wishful thinking making one feel better than everyone else. Nobody ever blames God when something bad happens though. Athlete #1 that won, I just want to thank God for this win. Athlete #2 that lost, I just want to scold God for my losing. Did Japan think God was blessing them when the U.S. dropped a nuke on them?

I saw a comedian years ago that made fun of that. You never see an athlete say "Jesus made me fumble."

I hated the "meal prayer" of "blessing on the food" when I was growing up in a religious family. First of all we were not allowed to eat until everyone was seated and the prayer ws said, and usually the good was half cold by the time that all happened. As a child I longed to be able to eat the food whiel it was still hot, which was rare in my family growing up.

I suspect those who rush through the food prayer, do so in order to be able to eat food while it is still hot.

Lol, better fast so you can get over it and start to eat!

I guess that indicates their lack of placing real value in it, yet still chained down by it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21207
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.