Agnostic.com

6 2

Why does religious zeal exist?

How do people give religion so much importance that they can't see how it affects anything else in their lives?

adiimnotabot 3 Oct 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Operant conditioning and group reinforcement, combined with need and desire.

Also many of them DO see that it effects everything, but they've been taught that this is a Good Thing.

That ventures into that area where peopel start to consider religion to be a mental illness....

It’s not through analysis or cogitation. It appears to me that some people have some buttons ready to be pressed. Say certain magic words and they’ll respond with zealous religious behavior springing from deep subconscious wiring. You can’t expect to change them with logic.

I don’t necessarily see that as a bad thing.

Fear?

people want to belong.

g

It reminds me of a never-ending camagin.. If they can get everyone on their bandwagon, they must be right?! Though the ‘zeal’ stands out … what I notice most often is a going-through-the-motions behavior, like zombies.. And the Zealots I’ve met appear to burn out fast 🙂

Varn Level 8 Oct 31, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:212547
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.