Agnostic.com

13 2

Is free will real or just an illusion?

Elvi 5 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just an illusion we make up to keep ourselves sane and sociable. I have free will and could do anything if l wanted to but choose to stay where l am even though l have no real choice.

Does it matter?

Who is Will and who has him?

Yes, in the literal sense of the question, we do have free will. You can decide everything you do; you can even decide if you want to lay in bed and starve to death if that's your choice. Now, what I feel is confusing people is other people impose their will on us; when this happens we chose to rebel or obey, but still our choice, even if physically made to you would still choose to keep fighting or give up, but a choice nonetheless. With all the laws and religion in the world I can see why people question it, but in the end if you are no longer free to make your decisions, then at one point you made the choice to allow others to make them for you. We all have free will, it's just your decision if you want it or not; if you believe otherwise, well, someone successfully imposed theirs onto you

I like to think free will is real. But, every time I do, I get this buzzing in my brain.

I guess that person who commented on my poll was right: it is a weekly question. No, there is no such thing as free will. This community will not be able to help you though, as they are very evenly split on whether or not it exists. Your best bet is to do some reading on the subject, and your mind will be made up for you. I will say that the fact that a smaller percentage of people on this site (generally more logical thinkers) than the general public believe in free will says something, so it may be worth a look for you.

This is a really difficult question that I've thought about many times, without reaching a conclusion. I think free will exists, but can't quite see how.

free will is something inside you. its when you act on your thoughts everything changes depending what you do. nothing is free.

Free will is an illusion. Choice is real.

Dannh Level 4 Feb 5, 2018

Explain? You seem to be contradicting yourself here...

@JeffMurray You need to learn the difference between choice and free will if you think I'm contradicting myself.

@Mcnutters If you simply mean that a choice is made without any freedom, I guess you can technically say choice exists, but that seems almost intentionally misleading. That would be like me saying I plugged 2+2 into my calculator and it chose to tell me the answer was 4.

It may depend on if you simply had to post this or had a choice. I do not think I can answer the question better than you can.

Oh it's real, in fact I'm displaying it by responding to your query...that help?

Illusion, it would be another way to trap others into belief. Just my opinion.

It's just an illusion but you are free to believe it is true...

@Elvi paradox - two MD's

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21301
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.