Agnostic.com

8 4

Can life have meaning? 4 different perspectives

Whom do you side with: the atheist, the christian, the absurdist, or the nihilist?

TheMiddleWay 8 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, it's official, I'm a nihilist XD There certainly is no objective meaning in life that I can find. As far as created meaning, I think that's cool if people want to create their own meaning. Nothing wrong there. But personally, I think that any created meaning is an illusion that does not reflect reality. I myself don't like illusions. I take my reality like I take my whiskey- straight, just how it is. Anything else added to it just dillutes the actual flavor.

The only real meaning that life can have is the one you create for yourself. There is no divine plan for your life for you to discover

Life is what you make of it, so they say and I agree with that. There seems to be no objective purpose in life

obis Level 6 Feb 5, 2018

What's the source of this? Camus falls under Existentialism. Cannot take these categories seriously or in any way defined.

@admin It looks like you can't have lowercase "I"s in titles either...

I appears this member used capitalized "I" in their title (I manually changed it but dunno if it was a bug)

What about you?

I have a good friend who is a nihilist. He studied philosophy for 15 years. It's only lazy if you let it stop you from living.

@TheMiddleWay I recall in previous threads that you are decidedly an agnostic, with serious concerns about atheism, as I recall.

@TheMiddleWay I thought it was odd that you said you would side mostly with the atheist referring to that graphic, since obviously you don't really. I wouldn't side with anything on that list myself, as it is written, and you're probably the same. They was all I meant.

@TheMiddleWay "God" help anyone who tries to pin you down on anything. I'm certainly not going to try again. (Yes, I'm sure you'll reply that you don't "believe" in being pinned down, so I'll save you typing. 🙂 )

@TheMiddleWay Listen sport, in previous posts you've waxed on about being an agnostic, even making a comment to me previously about this site being called agnostic.com and how it should reflect that and agnostics like yourself, and so I figured you're an agnostic, and that was a reasonable assumption, but actually it's impossible from your utterings to know what you are and I don't think you even know yourself, which is fine, and frankly I don't care because I'm actually interested in the thoughts of people who have some sense of themselves, which in my view doesn't include you, so we'll just keep out of each other's way here and all will be good in the garden. OK? Great.

@TheMiddleWay No, I'm done. Just this final reply. Never get a straight answer out of you, probing questions not withstanding. I'm not interested in probing you. You're very likely a very nice guy, but I've known others a little like you on religion. Nothing is ever clear or definitive. Never know exactly where you stand. Honestly, I joined this site to connect with clearly stated nonbelievers, not really with prevaricating agnostics (though many agnostics are more definitive than you seem to be) and loopy believers. (A few of those here) That continues to be my interest here. Good luck to you.

I waiver between existentialism and nihilism. The optimist in me wants to believe I can create meaning, or at least within the pursuit of it, but when I really stop to think about it, nihilism is probably the truest category.

I think healthy nihilism says 'So what?' to the reality that nothing matters. It's difficult to let go of the ego, but once you do, I think it can be quite freeing.

@TheMiddleWay
Why can't it be both?

@TheMiddleWay

I did, and the simple fact that the author can't say why he feels that way (and, lets face it, feelings don't validate truths, as if there even are truths) reinforces my thought that Buddhism and nihilism are not mutually exclusive.

My philosopher friend is the most civic-minded human being I know. He bought a plot of land and converted it into a community garden. He retiled a bathroom at a Ronald McDonald house and charged them a t-shirt as his fee. These are just the first couple of things that l can think of. And no one that he has helped will be alive in a couple of hundred years, so what's the point, right?

Maybe you just haven't met the right kind of nihilists. (And, food for thought, my friend is also an anarchist.)

Nihilism only means that nothing matters. It is not mutually exclusive of moral principals. And, according to him, there is no system of government that works, so why subscribe to any of them?

I'm agnostic, where is my column? I would have to pick atheist.

@TheMiddleWay I did that too🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21320
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.