Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK The alt-right misreads Nietzsche. But they aren't the only ones

Beyond good and evil definitely changed my life. This op-ed is pretty spot on in my opinion. Saddly I think alot of people misinterpret the words of Nietzsche.

KevinLentini 4 Nov 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

alt righters can read?

g

Both Nietzsche and nihilism are widely misunderstood. It's too bad.

I was a devout nihilist until I became a father. Now I'm on the fence. Lol

@KevinLentini Ironically, fatherhood had the opposite effect on me. Give them a chance to grow up and act out or take you for granted. You're likely still in the phase of imagining your future self the patriarch of a grateful family, gathered 'round to hear your wisdom and, at the end, to reminisce all misty-eyed at your deathbed. While this is possible, it's not common, especially here in the 21st century. Also one of my children died at the age of 30, and that tends to form one's thinking a bit more fatalistically.

None of which is to say I consider my role as father to be a total waste or pointless. The way in which nihilism is most often misunderstood is that it must inherently involve hopeless despair when that's not at all the point of Nietzsche's thinking on the topic. He did not teach that there is no meaning or purpose, only that it is completely self-determined rather than externally bestowed. He saw nihilism as a robust, positive ideology that was liberating from illusions of inherent meaning and notions of entitlement that go with it.

That's because most of our info about Neitzsche comes from the Nazi reinterpretation of Neitzsche to suit their propaganda purposes.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:213580
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.