Agnostic.com

24 0

Insomnia is making my life spiral out of control. Any suggestions?

Abigail96 5 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I work graveyard and it really fucks with my sleep. When I’m having a hard time I usually take some melatonin, get off my phone/put some quiet music on and darken my room as much as possible. If your insomnia isn’t going away with the things you’re trying it might be time to see a doctor though. I hope you’re able to get some rest!

1 word..bourbon!

That too, I like how you think. 🙂

Insomnia made my life Hell. Took me right up to the very edge of the abyss. Later learned that it was a symptom, not the disease.
(1) Cannabis + coconut oil + lectin + 00 caps. Eatables yield a different metabolite in the liver. Longer lasting, different effect, stacks amazingly well with meditation.
(2) Daily meditation habit. 20 minutes morning, then at night + cannabis in bed until sleep. Embrace the experience. (music, white noise, pod casts, ect helped)
(3) Daily exercise. I leveraged dog walking + wooded trails + walking meditation. Game-changing. Some form of intense training a couple times a week. Simply purges shit.

Personally sleeping pills made it worse and alcohol is an especially terrible idea. Many of the other suggestions on here are quite good and is what I use to this day instead of cannabis. Used that as a means to an end. Moved on once it became a crutch. (began using it as a drug instead as a medicine, reeeeaaallly got a taste for it after awhile.)
10mg melatonin, magnesium, zinc, Vit D before bed is typical if I'm having troubles. That may be a high dose of melatonin for you. I'm 6'3" @250lbs and picked that dose up from another large dude. Even I'm groggy and dehydrated feeling in the morning until I adjust.

This is something that I've fought since college. Something I watched drive my father to severe alcoholicism -> insanity -> suicide. So if you have any questions on specifics hit me up and I'll go as far into the weeds as it takes.

I just finished this "Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams". Lots of good information there. How good remains to be seen as I'm writing this at 3:44 in that A.M.

That punch line - perfect! 🙂

I use essential oils, lavender 2 drops underneath my lobes.

What helps me is scedule! Same time to bed,same time to sleap... and so important same time to wake up!
And happens that I wake up during the night, I just go pee,drink some water and go back to bed knowing I will fall asleep again ..... not letting thoughts to take over, I breathe 4 in, 4 hold and 6 out... it works

I had debilitating insomnia much of my life. Nothing worked. Well, valium class drugs do work, but are not a long term solution...

Weed works.

A walk, shower light read, make sure room is dark and quiet and a little cool

One small pinch of catnip powder (Nepeta cataria) can knock you out, so whenever I used it I made sure I was ready for bed.

Locals where I lived in eastern Kentucky hills used catnip to put teething babies to sleep.

Also, skip chocolate, caffeine, etc. and take a morning walk at sunrise, to reset your thyroid and sync your inner clock rhythms.

Velarian root

Diphenhydramine; Brand name: Benadryl

Get some sleep!

😉
Lol

Yes, 3 mg of Lunesta. Trust me. Ask your doctor if it's right for you.

Insomnia has been a lifelong debilitating problem for me.

Weed WORKS with far fewer issues than anything else I've explored. Unfortunately, I am out at the moment and really suffering too. I'll fix that this weekend with a drive to Washington DC. (You can buy legally in our nation's capital if you haven't heard)

I've participated in several sleep studies and been an many different prescription solutions from anti-psychotics to melatonin. They either did nothing, or worked with intolerable side effects (especially over time).

XANAX!

3 trazadone 50mg or remeron 45 mg

Melatonin is the all natural over-the-counter alternative to chem-drugs. But as all natural things go, it looses potency after a while, but it may be good to get you started into a routine of sleep.

Melatonin varies so much with each individual. It really works for me, others say it does absolutely nothing and a lot would agree with your comment. First I've heard of dipenhydramine exclusively as a sleep aid as it's primarily an antihistamine.

Taking my OTC B-12 pill in the morning instead o the evening bedtime made a Huge difference to me...apparently it revs me up! Review anything you take with this in mind?

I am retired so unless forced by a partner required sleeping habits... I am scot free to insomnia as I please and desire. For those that school or work... no good but for those who can... no longer an issue.

YouTube spirit flute with rain sounds some are several hours long. I have tinnitus and it cancels out the ringing in my ears

400 mg magnesium citrate...sold in powder form..
Mix with water and drink before bed...do not take more than about a teaspoon because it is what they use to clean out the colon before a colonoscopy (in higher doses, of course)...relaxes the muscles and mind...no "hangover" feeling in the morning.

Of course you could work hard all day in the gym. Run a couple miles. Go home, eat some dark chocolate, then take a steamy shower. Followed by some really great sex and a looong orgasm. Then take half a Lunesta.

I use Trazodone and it works for me. You do need a prescription for it.

JK666 Level 7 Feb 6, 2018

Trazadone... OMG! I'm glad it worked for you. That did Not work for me. Felt like being hit in the head by a hammer. Proceed with caution there.

Take Restoril or let me give you a massage with warm oil before bed

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21400
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.