Agnostic.com

25 7

Have you ever thought about or written your own eulogy as a motivational exercise?

I've heard it suggested in many places... "write your own eulogy to help you accomplish what you want in life." or, something along those lines... have you ever done this? thought about your legacy and what you hope to accomplish?

It's sort of morbid to think about.

If I were to write one-- it should include writing a book, making an impact on the world in some way, and most importantly talking about the people in my life and my importance to them.

silvereyes 8 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My eulogy is as follows:
What are you doing here? Go home. Be useful. Nothing to see here.

Haha brilliant

"she was love."

no, but that sounds like an interesting exercise. now to find a napkin.

Writing my dads made me realise I have some big boots to fill.

Again your picture is different!
No, it would sound like bragging to me. Let the community do that. I organized the memorial for my late Partner (Parvin). A lot of people attended and many made speeches. I spoke twice and even though public speaking is not my thing I was confident, empowered and even ad-libbed. She would have approved. That would be my ideal.

I had a friend who wanted a tombstone. He thought why not be able to use it while I am alive and actually had one made with his name and birth date. He used it as a coffee table (a very heavy one).

That’s a great idea as a motivational self help bucket list inspiration . It’s positive because once your dead . You won’t accomplish a lot more in life. I might put your suggestion to practise . I like the morbid side to it . Better than sun worshipers wailing and placing hands apon your unwilling body expecting an epifany when all you feel is violated.
So eulogy practise planned for after work. Goal achieve more ...

What if you ask 3 good friends to write one about you. I think its important for a eulogy to express how you were perceived by your community. Our self impressions can be incredibly biased

Come into the light

Gravestone:

As you are now, I once was. As I am now, you will be.

I love that...

I did so as part of a human relations exercise when I was in my early 30s and still unmarried. Now I'm 74 and it makes very strange reading. I've never shown it to anyone, either then or since.

Thanks for sharing that it’s interesting that time is very subjective to life’s ups and downs , good decisions and Bad. Lots of possible scenarios in 40 yrs. thank you.

Writing the songs I want people to dance for me will be enough. I need to hurry up and put them to happy music and record them... this year.

I've thought about writing my own obituary, but not my eulogy. My obituary needs to list my cause of death as "autoerotic asphyxiation," which may or may not be accurate. The rest would be fabrication and hyperbole.

@resserts ouch!

I don't think the "autoerotic" part would make it past the publication editor. I have suspected this may be what really happened in one or more of the recent celebrity suicides. It's a morbid curiosity i must confess.

@kensmile4u Haha! You'd certainly think so, right? I work for a newspaper and, for better or worse, we went to paid obituaries a few years ago (I guess we were one of the last holdouts in the country that still treated them as news items, where we fact-checked and provided background from our archive and made sure they followed a consistent format, all for free). Now they're treated as advertisements, and handled by the advertising department. They're barely even read before going into print. Whatever the family wants to submit is basically taken at face value.

I think that is beautiful to think about, really. I want the word "Atheist" on my headstone. Or, the symbol.

No, mostly because I'm overly invested in self absorption anyway. It would be an exercise in fantasy, but I would want to know what others would write.

Bah Humbug...life is for the living, and when you are gone, you won't care.

Mine is already written and i included thanking those individuals who I really loved for their patience with me and for all the enjoyment they had given to me, I also imparted short messages to my grandchildren just for their eyes.It wasn't morbid at all .I wrote it to tell everyone how important each was in my life.

"She...was not great."

I've actually thought about videoing one. Have no idea what would be in it, other than I'd try to make everyone laugh.

Mate belive me grieving family trying to get over loosing you may absolutely enjoy your beyonfd the grave chat cracking jokes. Laughings not high on the desired emotive responses at funerals . Scenario. It’ll either go well or bomb like traumatise type of bomb. . Imagine if you made a joke about the way you died. . Thanks for your thort provoking suggestion. .

Have an ideas what my tombstone may say.

Paul's Pleasure business aim was for a friendier, more loving and kinder world.

Place my ashes in a sandcastle and let the tide carry it away.

I have not because I cannot assume who will be reading it, so I do not know what they would want to say. Funny how you think people will remember you for one thing, but it turns out they would want to share something completely different about you. I do not feel the exercise would be morbid, but rather more of a narcissistic thing

It would be difficult to do because I would get carried away with explanation and it would wind up being a book.

I’m @silvereyes I’m not thinking about a eulogy for real . Personally I fell nothing could be more pretensious ...but as silvereyes suggested a kick up yhe arse motivational exersise .

Have picked the music for the service. 1 cast your fate to the wind. 2 can't find my way home.3 somewhere over the rainbow.(Iz version)

I have never considered these things in this way before. I have some considerations to make.

Marc Level 4 Feb 7, 2018

Yep... that's all done. The wife got all shook up one day and sniffled untill she got what she wanted. It's really funny how some people want to just run and hide. Hmmmm...

It's an idea worthy of ponder. Writing a novel would be in mine. I am sure I will have a small book of poems which I've been having fun wit for a few years. Where do you come up with all these good ideas?🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21405
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.