Agnostic.com

5 1

LINK Categorizing Americans' Religious Typology Groups

Quote: But a new Pew Research Center analysis looks at beliefs and behaviors that cut across many denominations – important traits that unite people of different faiths, or that divide people who have the same religious affiliation – producing a new and revealing classification, or typology, of religion in America.

Move over nones! There's a new typology in town!

(Fairly) fresh from Pew, what are your thoughts on this new typology? I find it hard to classify myself, for example, for while I'm in the non-religious group, I don't know if I'm a religion resister or solidly secular. Heck, even the name "religion resister" has some implication that I'm resisting the inevitable or that I'm in opposition to religion, which I'm not.

TheMiddleWay 8 Nov 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That would imply all is not lost for the USA... 29% nones, and another 30% of new age and marginal believers who can shift over in the long term.

As a semi Buddhist I suppose I go in the religiously aware segment with the new agers.

Although the preamble suggests that the categories are non-denominational there is consistent reference to the Bible. If any meaningful typology is to be presented then the content must be constructed impartially. There is an assumed propensity for Christian bias which nullifies the results.

I'd be a solidly secular person that believes religion and believers are extremely dangerous especially the ones who seem the most harmless on the surface.

I realize this typology works for the majority but I don’t fit neatly anywhere. I’m a devout practitioner of a non-congregational, science based religion. (I don’t sit in any pew) 🙂

skado Level 9 Nov 2, 2018

I’m definitely a religion resister. I’d like to be spiritually awake but that seems to mean new-agey to the pollsters, and I don’t go for that new age stuff in general.

God-and-Country types: They seem to be people who want a solid authority in control, not only in religion but in society and government. I wonder how many of those folks are eldest siblings. In any event, they are the ones who make the most impact politically. Though a minority (4% of the total population), they tend to taint the reputation of religion.

It’s an interesting article and I will study it further.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:214158
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.