Agnostic.com

4 2

Are there any professional, or former professional athletes here? I think that for non-athletes, and somewhat athletic people (like I've been much of my life), there is such a huge difference in innate talent and ability from the rest of us, that to me, it's unexplainable. Would anyone care to try? It would be interesting to me to hear it from a pro.

Condor5 8 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my younger years I was a semi-pro snow/skate boarder. I became a professional ski patroler at age 21.

I worked at Snow Basin in Utah winter of '72/'73. It was one of the hallmark experiences of my life. I wasn't on the Ski Patrol, but I would do sweeps with 'em at closing time sometimes. I was in awe of how good those guys were, so I have an idea of the ability level, though I personally never got that good.

As far as explaining talent goes... I am uniquely fit for these types of sports because of my high level of stability and balance, my desire for adrenaline, ability to learn quickly, and my dedication to self improvement. Talent is great, but skill is better. I think most professionals would agree.

@condor5
Three cheers for mountain ops! My job would have been impossible without help from other departments. It's amazing the amount of team work it takes to run a ski resort.

@jayneonacobb honestly, it was a hard job at times, but the funnest job I ever had, far and away. Except for the people who got pissed at me when I was told to go up and flatten the moguls. The better skiers loved those things. I've got so many stories from just that one winter.

I can only talk for my experience... Not a pro, there was a time I hanged out with olympians and sport dedicated people. I was a diversified "jock" different than most, one of the many things to do. But my first major in College was physical education... all jocks... one signed pro baseball as a freshman and left school right away... Lotsa track and field... The usual basketball players that went to our league. Amateur league but with a lot of diet money and other percs involved. But those guys... all they have was the sport. A couple like me could draw... a couple were interested like me on being ladies men... musicians here and there, good enough to be his real career, music. I am sure some became great teachers. When you are a professional and has free time to do whatever you want to do in the off season is different. I always heard the Great Roberto Clemente was a great pool player... maybe good enough to be a professional if he wanted to but he developed that skill after becoming a baseball player. Some pros are great musicians like Wayman Tisdale R.I.P. Some are not that great and reason they record is because they can afford to pay studio money. Some may become actors... some good, most not. At time is not the skill what open them a door... is the sport. And there is the "fakes", like they said Curtis Flood was not really a painter. That his portrait work in the 60's was all fake. They are all Humans like the rest of Us... sometimes that is all they got... sometimes they can afford developing a new skill. Sometimes they don't. And many often enough wanted to do something else all their lives just like us. The Freaks are good at several sports but normally they relate to the same set of skills... We all knew dion sanders was great at football and good at baseball but my nephew played basketball against him on a church charity game and told me he was great at basketball too... he still an asshole in my book but a very skilled one.

But, I bet you could sense in the top players something that set them apart from those who were slightly less accomplished, couldn't you?

@Condor5 They were good or dedicated beyond belief... since I was a physical education major... we studied russian approach to athletics... they took 200 boys and trained them to be sprinters... with a specific olympic as target... those olympics came and the boys were not ready... american approach will ditch the project... russian approach continued for 4 more years... the russian that won the 200 meters that olympic was part of that group. Knowing russian dancers... they work harder than any american dancer would... so is not a surprise that russian control the dance world. Is work ethic. You may find an individual in any part of the world with a perfect combination of skills to produce a result despite minimal effort but a hard worker will have him beat eventually. They used to say that Michael Jordan played 3 passes ahead. Bob Beamon when he broke the long jump world record in Mexico city did it because of his lack of discipline so while most jumpers posted flags to measure their steps, he simply just ran and jumped without disciplining the sprint. Some were born to play basketball or soccer or baseball. The greatest catch I ever made playing baseball was a catch in left field that when I started to run for it I was convinced that it was homerun and I simply needed to retrieve the ball because it was my responsibility... When I got to the wall I realized that if I jumped and timing it right I will have a chance. I did and I stole a grand slam from an 18 year old, me being 15. Sometimes you just need to try without thinking much about success or failure instead just try blanking everything else. The pro's were born with the skills or developed the skills. And their minds control that beautiful well tuned body but do not forget that what killed Bruce Lee was a simple pill that will do me or you any harm. Athletes are machines, well tuned and often enough very sensitive to things will not do you or me any harm. That is the Trade Off my friend at times we don't see.

@GipsyOfNewSpain good insights, thank you for that.

I played basbeball before an injury took me out permanently and i saw many come and go. Players with amazing skill and others meh not so much. One thing i can say is the work that is put into it that's the amazing part, yes you get some very few who are just gifted. Many of us practiced for hours a day everyday of the week even off the field

Yeah..that's why the "big fish in a small pool" situation brings more glory to the athlete, such as a moderately talented high school runner from a small school winning all the races.

However, when I was growing up in Haiti as an MK (missionary kid), one of my fellow MKs so impressed me with his rock skipping skills, I got a crush on him and we were "boyfriend/girlfriend" at the annual all-mission summer camp, or when both our families were at the same mountain vacation place.

I tried my best to copy his throwing technique, sort of unhinging my arm and drawing it back almost behind me before launching the rock. I doubled my throwing reach, but I couldn't even touch his 40-skip throws out into the breakers along the beach.

I thought I was just a "sissy girl" who couldn't throw, but when I mentioned this to his younger brother a few years ago, he just stared at me.

"Don't you know that they tried to recruit him for the minor leagues? His fast balls were clocked at professional level speeds."

I felt better after that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21417
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.