Agnostic.com

8 2

My mother was Catholic and made us attend catechism. I got in trouble with the nun teaching the class when I asked her where God came from. She replied:
"God always was and always will be."
To this day, I can't grasp how God can exist without a creator but the universe requires a creator.
Thoughts?

mwendt 3 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They don't want you to think about that part. If there's a creator, who created the creator? Universe evolution through singularities (to dramatically simplify things) makes a lot more sense to me.

God doesn't exist.

The Universe has always been here - it wasn't created.

gater Level 7 Feb 6, 2018

Failure to resolve questions like these never bothered me. I'm totally okay with not knowing, or being able to construct a paradigm that makes sense.

What makes my blood boil is when people get mad at you for asking in the first place. That's mental abuse. No answer? Fine. Not appropriate to talk about in this setting? Whatever. Just say so, respectfully. Don't make me out to be the bad guy for asking.

Yeah, defies logic, but makes for a fun topic of conversation when the Jehovah's Witnesses come knocking.

Kimba Level 7 Feb 6, 2018

Same as me, I was told in sunday school that God has always existed. I told the teacher that there's gotta be a day 1 or a beginning when God came to be, she told me that it's none of our business. It really disturbed me that things as important as the origin of life is "none of our business".

The nuns always said the same thing to me. I think the only reason they did that was because they couldn't answer the question, and got pissed off at anyone who had the temerity to think for themselves.

Holy Rosary. Did everyone on here have a nun run in?

@phil21 I come from a long line of "heretics". My maternal grandmother was ex-communicated from the catholic church for 'witchcraft'.

@KKGator Now you are just showing off! (That's cool, by the way.)

@phil21 It's a source of tremendous pride for me. I only learned about it last year. Every time I think about it, I smile.

@diabhal Oh, heck yeah! Just because they have a few facts wrong, they were wonderful women who cared about people and not just people's souls.

@KKGator That would be my permanent ice breaker.
"Whoa, it's colder that a witches tit, today! Speaking of witch, did I ever tell you about my granny?"

Hey there, brother. See you in hell. I asked the same question.

I have wondered if god ever thought where it came from.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21534
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.