Agnostic.com

8 0

Do you miss going to Church on Sundays?

I grow up in a Christian home and we always went to church... I think the last time I went to church was back in 2010 for Christmas service. Let me know if you miss attending church .... Second question; when was the last time you went to church if you used to attend church

Julian8836 2 Nov 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The last time I went to church as part of a family unit, weddings not counting... I think I was 4-5 years old. My parents raised me with information and told me I would need to find my own place... But they would answer any question I had as fairly as possible or try to steer me in the right direction.

I have gone to church with others throughout my life. I was always uncomfortable there... Especially the long Catholic masses or the fire and brimstone Baptist type. I've been to just about every type of church over the years in my quest.

So to answer your question.... I don't miss it at all. I'd rather be splitting wood!

The last time I stepped in a church, I was told "no smoking" just before I burst into flames.

I have no problem stepping into a church... Just like I have no problem going to comicon ..

Nope. Too early in the morning morning to sit and listen to shit I don't want to hear, surrounded by people I can't fit in with, who apparently hate the fact that I'm narcoleptic and will have a sleep attack if I sit still and listen to some fool drone on and on.

I don't miss church. What is missed was the the sense of community and belonging (in my view the only positive thing religion actually provides).

I think what is most difficult for peopel who leave religion is learning how to form groups and a sense of community and belonging outside of the religious social structure.

I tell atheists to check otu meetyp.com to find groups with similar interests. If they really need that churchy type social struture, then I point them to the Unitarians, where (I am told) most congregations welcoem atheists.

I started attending church at age 19. Before that I had more friends than I could keep track of. We hung out all the time, in various places and at various houses. Once I started attending church, my social life was over. The reason, as best I could see, was that most people were married, and all they were interested in was the church service, the niceties of saying hello to everyone, and dressing up. After the service was over everyone went back to their own homes, not to be seen or heard from till next week.

I was determined to stay the course and be a good Christian. I would go to any church event I could, and visit at members homes when invited, But I never did find new groups of friends that really wanted to hang out together, just for the sake of hanging out.

Now I am in my 40's, living in a new state (Florida), alone, asking myself, how am I going to make friends and date? The only ways I know of are, going to church, or going to clubs or bars, neither of which is appareling to me now. I am a fun social guy, there has to be other options than these? Heck I have even thought about going back to college, and taking some classes, just so I can meet new people.

Do I miss attending church? I am comfortable there even now. Given all I know now, all the spiritual talk sounds as out of this world, as if all the people were singing praises to Santa Claus, so no its not exactly how I want to spend my weekends the rest of my life just so I can socialize.

Florida has tons of things to do within 120 miles from my home, I am thinking about taking small trips and doing some of those fun things a few times a month, and go from there. I am happy most days, and enjoy life, my philosophy is keep on living, and keep an eye open, something is going to turn up, that might improve things socially for me. You never know when you might meet someone special.

No. The last time I attended was when I was 16. I have since been to many weddings held at various chapels, but the last mass attended was ... decades ago. I don't miss it, but whenever I go to chapels for some other reasons, it has a strange feel of home-coming.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:215387
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.