Agnostic.com

10 1

Euthanasia

What do you think if we had a law permitting parents to medically euthanize their newborn child who was born with profound intellectual and/or physical disabilities, disabilities that would greatly affect the child's quality of life. And, is this any different than abortion.

Jesusluvsu 6 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For me the difference is a fetus carried through to birth has become a viable human unless it requires life support to keep it alive. I doubt, given the high degree of controversy regarding development during gestation, that after birth euthanasia would ever be acceptable to the majority.

My first child Ian was seemingly normal when he was born. As he grew we noticed that he was slower than other kids in developing. Ian was late to talk, walk and never managed to be potty trained. We took him to hospital so many times, especially after he suffered with epileptic fits. Finally when Ian was 7 he was diagnosed with a rare genetic disease called homocystinuria. An inability of his body to process the amino-acid cystine. This led to so many symptoms, fits, spasticity, mental retardation, a dislocated eye lens and most strikingly, beautiful platinum curly blond hair (a la Shirley Temple). On face value Ian would certainly (had his condition been known at birth) be a candidate for euthanasia but then that would negate who Ian was. Everybody who met Ian was enthralled and inspired. His smile even in the face of the most adverse circumstances like when he lost the ability to walk. His pleasure at the most simple things that we take so much for granted like the colour yellow or a christmas tree, Ian`s smile beamed from ear to ear . Most of all his unconditional love was a lesson that the very most smartest of us can only dream of. When he passed away aged 25 the world became lesser.

@Hugh &
Bloodswolf Thank you for you sympathies. It was a long time ago but extremely painful to write about. However I could not let this debate go by without his voice being heard

I knew it was coming, but still hoped your last sentence wouldn't. That is heartbreaking and beautiful and I'm so sorry - even if it was a long time ago.

@BlueWave We all knew that Ian would not have long in this world but a life is not necessarily measured in years.More what you bring into it and what you leave behind. In this respect Ian was a giant.

Oh on a lighter note. Ian would occasionally earn £5 from the hospital as an exam question. Trainee medical students would examine him and try and diagnose his condition. Which I personally thought was a little harsh on the student`s. Seeing as it took the consultants in one of the largest children's hospital in europe years to get right.

Dear, this has been going on for hundreds of years. The mother or grandmother or midwife would gently help the baby to die and then announce it as stillborn. I don't know if I could do it, but my heart bleeds for the mother who had to make such a decision.

Peace,
Spinliesel

Euthanasia... is as good a name as any, has an ominous sound, as well it should.
“Profound... disabilities...” ethically, medically assisted,

I believe ethical euthanasia is beneficial to those involved at any stage of life. Imagine... 100/1000 years from now... won’t this be routine ?

Philosophical reasoning, not religious.

Tomas Level 7 Feb 7, 2018

Whoa... I'm a proponent of euthanasia, but I've never considered this one. I may need a minute to consider this. I think it's important for us to be able to choose our own time to die, and to be allowed to make that decision for a loved one if a prior agreement has been made... And I also believe in a woman's right to choose... But once the foetus has reached viability? Is capable of continuing life unaided by its mother? I can't answer that in some general statement and it makes me want to weep just imagining parents who might themselves faced with such an option. I'll be interested in what the rest of you say here. Good question, dude, but a fucking hard one to answer.

Abortion is different because there are 2 bodies, 2 beings involved.
A perfectly healthy child being tortured in a prison camp has little quality of life.
Do I say it is ok to kill someone who is no threat, has done no wrong?
I consider the value of a person if their potential to improve, push that to the extreme, do we euthanize old people or anyone who has reached their peak?
These are my thoughts, not an opinion, I don't have one.

Abortion involves the mothers body as well, does she want to carry the pregnancy? It affects her life as well as the unborn. So yes it is different to abortion. Quality of life is something I am not in a position to decide for another, I know people who are badly deformed and yet love life, yet other people have no deformities and they life is hell, It is not my call. Not against abortion, just saying I see a difference. Some kids are going to die, the level of deformity is too great for them to survive, I would see euthanasia as a mercy in such instances. But where is the line? What if the parents simply do not want a child who is not perfect?

I am in favor of euthanasia simply because if I am terminally ill I want a clean way out. I don't know about allowing someone else to decide though. That could open a door for abuses without some carefully considered safeguards, maybe brain activity, or a consensus of medical experts.

I believe in euthanizing people for the right reasons.

That is quite a hard core question.
Legally it would be murder, first degree.
Then again, would it be a relief for those with the "disability".
The real question is, where would you draw the line.
Which degree of being disabled justifies euthanasia?

One side of the medal is that with modern medicine we can help almost everyone, so that they can have a better quality of live.
On the other hand, how much do we know that they are actually suffering and would prefer not to live this kind of live or really enjoy it, despite it's handicaps?

Beyky Level 3 Feb 6, 2018

if you’ve ever been a caretaker and know there is no cure, witnessed someone’s daily suffering, you may not question “mercy killing” ... oddly, animals are euthanized routinely for humanitarian reasons... do we not deserve the same mercy?

Sometimes I will pass the subject. Collect my points and that's it. Once someone is born... does not matter how little someone will be. It is Still Someone.

@Hugh You have a birthday do you? You don't like it... give up your birthday... ask your mother what should be your new birthday. That's my final answer.

Have you ever had “someone” beg you to pull the plug ? @GipsyOfNewSpain

@Tomas No.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21570
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.