Agnostic.com

10 10

The atheist community must do more than proliferating jocularity at the expense of theists. Any conversations/debates should be geared towards changing lives and not ridicule. Our humanism must come first. It’s the only way to change society’s stereotype of our community. It's not what we say; it's how we say it.

Sapio_Ink 7 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I doubt humorless "pep talks" will have any effect whatsoever except to drive people away! What is your reaction when Mormons & Jehovah's Witnesses show up to harangue you??!

If we ridicule, then we are no better than the evangelicals and others that disagree with us. Becoming a non-believer is like finally realizing you're addicted to something. It doesn't happen until you are ready for it. So no amount of civil discussion (unless requested), ridicule (bullying) or judgement will change anyone's mind.

We don't want people changing us - and I don't believe we should be trying to change lives. Humanism needs to include respect, doesn't it ?

But I wholeheartedly agree with backing off on ridicule and disparaging remarks. No good comes of it. We win people over by setting a good example !

@Affinis In the ideal world ... Meanwhile, until they're 18, they are under their parental and school influences - for better or worse.

I stopped telling theists that I work with, atheist things. They don't understand the truth and never will. It's quite sad.

Nobody is going to change anyone. People have to figure things out for themselves.

I rarely debate theists.

Not because I avoid the subject, but because I rarely meet any.

When I do, it is generally through polite discourse - even with doorknockers.

I have a laugh and use humour in all situations. And I take this piss out of silly situations, ideas and statements. I try to avoid making the humour personal, but every now and again there is someone that really asks for it and the temptation becomes too great and I just can't help myself. 😉

Sometimes, humor is the best way to make a point.

agreed on the humor. cutting ridicule can make a point but it may not have the desired results

I've never mocked a civil theist, but I feel like it's my duty to demonstrate that you can laugh at the ideology without bursting into flames.

I don't care if all people want to do is joke and blow off steam. I'm not going to tell them what to do. I just won't invite them to Union of Concerned Atheists convention.

Or I will. I probably would.

You don't have to dampen the noise if the signal is loud enough.

Humor is human. I tend to agree when communicating outside of this site. But within, allow yourself to have some fun.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21580
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.