Agnostic.com

3 0

QUESTION Pope Francis accuses Chilean church sexual abuse victims of slander | World news | The Guardian

Francis said that until he sees proof that Bishop Juan Barros was complicit in covering up the sex crimes of the Rev Fernando Karadima, such accusations against Barros are “all calumny”.

The pope’s remarks drew shock from Chileans and immediate rebuke from victims and their advocates. They noted the accusers were deemed credible enough by the Vatican that it sentenced Karadima to a lifetime of “penance and prayer” for his crimes in 2011.

A Chilean judge also found the victims to be credible, saying that while she had to drop criminal charges against Karadima because too much time had passed, proof of his crimes was not lacking.

“As if I could have taken a selfie or a photo while Karadima abused me and others and Juan Barros stood by watching it all,” tweeted Barros’s most vocal accuser, Juan Carlos Cruz. “These people are truly crazy, and the pontiff talks about atonement to the victims. Nothing has changed, and his plea for forgiveness is empty.”

zblaze 7 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pope = Pot
Chilean church sex abuse victims = Kettle

Okay... so he has a biz to run. Using the company line. He is not a "saint", he is a pope. I am not surprised.

I thought he was a better man than that.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21599
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.