Agnostic.com

1 2

Whence Morality?...

phxbillcee 10 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not wanting to take away from YouTuber Bionic Dance's take down, I add below Sam Harris' conversation with Jordan Peterson. I think the presentation by J Peterson that Bionic Dance is reacting to came after J Peterson's first appearance on S Harris' podcast.

Regardless, S Harris wrote a follow-up in his blog about his conversations with J Peterson after the podcast. And in it, as far as I understand it, J Peterson claims that any belief system (e.g. religion) that we have carried through our survival as a species must be "true" - even to the Darwinian sense.

S Harris refuted it (in the blog) with this: "In the year 2017, the question “How should we act in the world?” simply isn’t reducible to Darwinism. In fact, most answers to this question arise in utter defiance of the evolutionary imperatives that produced us. Caring for disabled children would most likely have been maladaptive for our ancestors during any conditions of scarcity—while cannibalism recommended itself from time to time in every corner of the globe. How much inspiration should we draw from the fact that killing and eating children is also an ancient “archetype”? Overcoming tribalism, xenophobia, honor violence, and other forms of apish barbarity has been unthinkable for hundreds of millennia—that is, until now. And our moral progress on these fronts is the basis of our most enlightened answers to Peterson’s question."

S Harris' blog about his conversations with J Peterson after their podcast is here: [samharris.org]

And here is the podcast itself. I listened to it when it was first release, but I can't remember much about it. And I didn't know that S Harris wrote a follow-up about it. It is 2 hours long.

Bionic Dance said she would get to it later, & never did, so it's tough to know what or where she actually has her issues. Hell, I don't agree 100% with ANYONE 100% of the time. She mentioned political issues, but again, never got to them. I'm not a big Peterson fan, tho he seems popular for some reason. He comes across a little "Deepak Chopra" for me. Thanks for the links!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21638
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.