Agnostic.com

8 12

QUESTION World Renowned Chef Opens Soup Kitchen That Fights Hunger And Food Waste

I love what these people are doing in Milan. Wonder if there is something similar here in the states?

BeeHappy 9 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Governments routinely arrest people for setting up soup kitchens where homeless people "live" USA deliberately keeps millions of people without jobs to keep wages low and profits high including UNOCCUPIED homes where poor people could live

It says an awful lot about us as a country as to how we treat the poor and homeless. Pretty disgusting.

A great idea. I have for some years been in contact with a Maori living in Australia who spends much time living with the homeless in Sydney. He organised food kitchens and basically squatted the homeless in Sydney's Martin Place business district. The current NSW Premier, a woman of Armenian extraction, right wing politics, took objection and passed law soon after gaining power, to criminalise the homeless.

[dailymail.co.uk]

[dailymail.co.uk]

[smh.com.au]

Yeah, don't know what some of our politicians are thinking. Reminds me of when they use to send people to the "poor house" for owing money, etc.

@BeeHappy In the U.K. and around the world gaol...aka debtor's prison. I note that contrary to international agreement USA wilfully interprets debtors behaviour as contempt of court in order to feed the U.S. "slave labour" demands of privatised gaol systems.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

I think we had one doing meals in Puerto rico..
The one that ivanka had removed from a party because he made her uncomfortable

The first thing I thought of are the restaurants Jon Bon Jovi has opened. Apparently, someone else on the Facebook posting thought of the same thing. There are a number of restaurants around the country that try to do the same things for their communities.
There are good people who do try to make a difference.

Yes, and they do!

Incredible! Thanks for sharing. I heard of a stellar place where you had the option to do the dishes to pay for your meal... and a coffee shop that had a system where people regularly bought an extra coffee to be logged and available to whoever asked for a free coffee! Geeze, we all start as selfish little organisms many times vying for resources or their acquirement. I idealistically have an operative belief that we are all fellows here, and that we may easily create our own hell if wish -or, care for the flourishing of humanity itself. I believe we should not leave footsteps of mere consumers but take the same consideration of the world as they would their own child. Getting humans on the same page is like herding cats, but seriously, before the heart is desensitized and hardened by the world and knowledge of the world it has everything you need to know in this life... all the while dealing with that desire-demands and needs of the body Speaking of pages though, people usually recognize that the only rational way this world may operate is through loving-kindness, and if they are developed and wise they would throw compassionate with the wisdom to know what compassion is in a given situation. and the consideration for the well-being of the conscious. The root is selfish, the fruit is selfless. As sapience, it is our birthright to cultivate our hearts and reap healthy care for existence -and blah, blah- wholesome content to share and the pursuit of the quality of all life-experiences in general as that is the only thing a paramount value... but seriously, I am serious, just flowery.

Thank you for the lovely words. You have a good heart.

There is a man here in So Cal who has been doing that for years with his restaurant; and he's an immigrant. He feeds destitute families that have no homes, or who live in places, like fleabag motels, where they have no cooking facilities. His restaurant burned to the ground a couple years back, and he was so horribly distraught, not that he lost his livelihood, but that he could not feed the people anymore. That is the epitome of humanity, to me. These are the immigrants too few people hear about.

How terrible. Yes, there are way more fine immigrants than not.
Do you know if he has tried to reopen?

@BeeHappy I believe he is trying to accumulate the funds to reopen. Meanwhile, I'm fairly certain I'd heard that another restaurant was letting him use their facilities to feed the indigent people he typically was serving.

The criminality of immigrants is definitely sensationalized. I would like your comment but that feels too positive. How tragic. This is the kind of humanity that I like to lift up to, this means seems an exemplary and I'd agree with him speaking for humanity. However, you seem to imply -I don't think you meant to- that this is the one true human nature. Seriously, there is much natural darkness in man. Sometimes my faith is lost in humanity, but it is stories such as these that restore it. Thanks for sharing.

@MortalsWrath no argument with anything you said, my friend. When I said "epitome of humanity," I was trying (unsuccessfully, apparently) to imply idealized humanity, and being humane. My error for not being clearer on that.

thats so cool.

Good for the chef!!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21677
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.