Agnostic.com

10 3

It someone could prove the existence of a supernatural God, wouldn't that defeat their own purpose? Once it is proved, wouldn't it then not be supernatural but one of the scientific facts of the natural world? Have I made an error in logic? What do you think?

ThomasMeador 7 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They are safe knowing they can't - as that is their purpose.

It makes sense to me.

A creator is magical thinking and is supernatural. If you give any force in the universe a personality, opinions, likes and dislikes, then you (the collective you) made it up. What is the purpose of a creator anyway? Why make people, bunnies, and eye burrowing worms? I understand biologically why those worms exist, but not if we are to accept the mind of a creator.

Even today people do not understand natural phenomena, so their brains invent something. The human mind does not like unanswered questions. What we used to attribute to a god, we now understand through science. We keep pushing the god idea further back as we gain information. There are some things we will never know, but that does not prove a creator. In fact, it only leads us to more scientific exploration.

Depends on how you define natural. If “nature” is confined to our universe and this being existed outside of it in some external/parallel universe, then it would be “supernatural”. Alternatively you could extend your definition of nature to include its plane of existence, thus making it natural. It wouldn’t defeat the purpose of proving a superpowered overseer, though.

In a way they would. If someone where to prove there was a god, they'd quickly realize that it wasn't jealous, spiteful bigot they'd been praying to.

Good point- but I have another question: when we get to scientifically understand how universes are made- from scratch, wouldn't that make us god?

If someone could prove the existence of a supernatural God, then there would be an immediate rewriting of all the laws of physics, and quantum mechanics, and chemistry, because the origins of space-time etc would have been completely changed.

I am a member of the scientific tribe, but sometimes 'Murphy's Law' gets me thinking that there may be some stuff that science can't explain, especially like whenever I go to the dunny and the (landline) telephone rings, how did it know I was in there, just about to rip off the paper? Maybe someone is watching me on my mobile? or is it quantum entanglement ?

I would be suspicious that he/she/it was not just deceiving us for he/she/its own gain.

Gain does not mine cheating you out of something, You may not even be able to understand what its gain is.

If he's supernatural he might be able to control how his existence is revealed. He could mess with your scientific experiments.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2169
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.