Agnostic.com

3 2

Do you identify as agnostic or athiest? What is your reason? How do you define each one?

NewAgeHulk 4 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to be an atheist but then I switched to being an agnostic. We might not know whether or not there's a tea pot in orbit around the sun and yes it's better to say there's no tea pot. That being said, can it really be said that the idea of a deity is as fantastical as the tea pot? Because religion has always confined our views about deities to beings that have xyz traits that can do xyz things. Religion writes whole books about the nature of these beings without really knowing. My point is this: because of religion, the idea of a 'creator' has never been properly examined. So yes god is a teapot in orbit if you think it's a bearded magician sitting on a throne waiving a staff. But if god is merely what we describe as the the thing that triggered the Big Bang (semantics, I know) and don't tag on all these extra assumptions with it, then that makes god more like a meteor in orbit around the sun rather than a teapot. That version seems more likely to me.

To sum it up the god of religion is a teapot because religion keeps us from properly addressing what a 'creator' might actually be. Remove these restraints and a more realistic theory of a 'creator' might emerge. I'm an agnostic because I don't think such a theory is impossible.

A realistic theory might look like this: if the thing that triggered the Big Bang was ever found to have awareness, that I think would be the closest thing to god we could ever know. We could call it anything. We could call it Bob Saget for all I care.

A theory does exist which predicts that one day we might be able to create a universe in a lab. If this is true, what's to say our universe wasn't created in a lab as well? Would those who spawned us be our 'god'?

I would say agnostic. Whatever the common thought is of a god is not what I think is within me. I do not think there is a being out there micro managing things here on this planet. I guess like Star Wars, I think there is a force I/we are a part of but in no way separate from. It is more love and light and all we need to know is within us. Erring silly humans teach themselves to hate and choose to be cruel.

Yes or no? not to make a decision is a decision in of itself. If yes you might think your right but I know you are not. If no then then I agree with you. If maybe then you have a 100% chance of being wrong. Simple logic.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21693
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.