Agnostic.com

4 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tho a few years old, still an excellent article & a good reference.

"Creationist Nonsense" is redundant.

lol. true

I am fully convinced that evolution is a true theory, however, like all theories, Darwinism does not tell the whole story IMO.

I saw nothing about epigenetics in the article. New developments cast doubt on Darwin’s theory in regards to natural selection. Many researchers are saying that evolution is not driven solely by natural selection, and that natural selection might play only a secondary role.

Epigenetics does not invalidate the theory of evolution—what it does is open the door to the possibility that evolution could be guided by consciousness rather than by blind random chance.

It must be admitted that it is possible to guide evolution through conscious choices—breeders do it all the time. There are some mysteries involved here.

I do not advocate the teaching of creationism in science classrooms, but I do advocate the teaching of truth about what is known and not known. BTW, I am proud to be cousin to monkeys. 🙂

of course darwin didn't tell the whole story. he didn't have the means we have now, and he was fumbing in the dark. he did great with what he had! it's not as if we have the full story now, either. we keep working on it. there is no such thing as knowing everything. there is always more to know. science teachers don't claim to know everything. well, maybe some... they're just people after all! but good science teachers don't pretend we know all. i wouldn't worry about that.

g

@genessa I meant no disrespect to Mr. Darwin, but the general tone of the article is condescending and pompous. Look at the title. My teachers were open-minded in general but they left no room in their teaching for anything except mechanistic, random, natural selection, and that ain’t necessarily so.

@WilliamFleming you're entitled to your perception of the article but i do not share it. i have seen so many bad ones, and although i didn't mention pomposity in my response below, yeah, i've seen that too. i didn't see it here. i found it quite a joy to read!

g

i see a lot of "science" articles presented on agnostic dot com (and facebook to a lesser extent) and they're usually badly written (and apparently unproofread, let alone edited), don't even match their titles in what they're about, and leave the reader either convinced of falsehoods or half-truths because the reader has not recognized inconsistencies (usually assumptions based on facts not in evidence) or frustrated because the reader has indeed either recognized them or intuited them.

this article is not one of those. this article is WONDERFUL. it's from a reputable source, it is exactly what its title says it will be, it has been meticulously thought out and well written, and it's fascinating! i love it! it gets technical as necessary without being inaccessible, and it really does go after all the arguments you hear from sophisticated (read "dishonest" as opposed to "delusional" ) creationists. (i have to admit i hear the monkey argument a lot, and the macro/micro thing a lot lately too, and have found it easy to counter for former but not so easy, since i'm not a scientist, to counter the latter. now i have a reference! i almost said a quick reference but this is beautifully explicit and detailed. i highly recommend that EVERYONE read this, whether or not you've been annoyed by self-admitted creationists or those tricky intelligent-design-promoting creationists (oh and by the way, if you see ben stein, please tell him to go to hell! oh wait, there is no hell. well, we'll think of something!)

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:217572
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.