Agnostic.com

3 1

Mourning

Reading some posts here made me realize again that parting from religion has a deep psychological effect of clearing all the imprint that religion did to you. This is enlarged by the fact that the people around you do not part and keep the belief alive and judge you and even exclude you. Even your family might, depending how the relation with family members can be defined. But, reading all those stories of people that succeeded the parting of ways, made me realize again that, just like any parting, if it is divorce, death, a child leaving the house, leaving church, it inflicts a huge change of ones life. All the elements of mourning can be recognized in all of these processes. Parting from religion might even be the most difficult because it inflicts your whole life, your total being and your major social relations, the core needs of a human to survive. Building a new life from scratch is so difficult when you stand alone. But in the end, when you have grown into it, it appears to be rewarding and has built your self-respect and self-esteam.

Gert 7 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes it has. I feel a great sense of freedom now because I don't have to judge my own actions based on a set of rules for my behavior that were not my rules. I just look inside when I feel bad about something or am unsure how to proceed. I am finding my joy. It's nice.

it must be very difficult when you're groomed from birth with very religious family members etc. luckily for me, I wasn't.

Yes you are lucky. I went to catholic schools from grade one through college. I am grateful for having left the flock.

I would think it depends on just how much you embrace reality. (IMHO)

Sure not every person triggers the same process. The closest the most. So if you not have been involved a lot in religion, the mourning process will be absent or mild.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21792
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.