Agnostic.com

8 3

Odd religious excuses

What is the oddest excuse/reason a believer has said why you should believe? to start, I heard, "don't you want to be with your loved ones when you die?" my reply, "I'd rather be with them when alive its much more fun for all"

rmitcham71 2 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The worst is "Why not pray Just In Case you are wrong?" wtf? lol. Nha, I am good.

It actually came from my wife. When she found out that my son and I were atheist she said we were going to hell. That in itself is not that odd. It's just that she has not once gone to church since i've known her for over 20 years, She has never prayed that I know of, and not once expressed any concern for the condition of our souls. She has never done or said anything ever since. She has not demonstrated any behavior that indicates she actually believes we are going to hell. In other words, she is an atheist and does not know it.

I like this one from Penn Jillette:

"So, I would no sin." Corrected them and said you mean so, I could recognize sin so I don't sin. He said, "No, just know it."
I still don't no what the fuck he was talking about.

The dog ate my homework

Pascal's wager, which is basically what have you got to lose. Paraphrased "If you act like there Christians are right then you get to go to heaven and if they are wrong you still haven't lost anything." This is posed as a "logical" argument for believing but it has so many flaws it's not funny.

1. If there is a god but you have picked the wrong one are you better or worse off?
  2. If there is a god that is so egotistical that they need me to worship them I'm not sure I want to go to their heaven.
  3. How stupid is this god if they are going to be satisfied with me pretending to believe.
  4. I have lost a hell of a lot by following some churches silly rules, including personally being a bad person who has abrogated their moral judgement in favour of dogma.
    The fact that it was formulated by an otherwise intelligent man, French philosopher, mathematician and physicist Blaise Pascal (1623–62), beggars belief.
Kimba Level 7 Feb 7, 2018

Pascals wager does prove that agnostics are wrong. If you follow the logic then not betting at all means you have a 100% chance of not winning

The two that go hand in hand pretty much from religious people and non-religious but accepting of it are:

"Well if there is no God, then whats stopping you from blah blah blah where do you get morality blah blah"

"I'm ok with religion as a way of keeping people decent and not going nuts." or some crap along the lines of being ok with religion as long as it keeps people in line.

I find these kinds of defense repugnant and insidious. It shows a gross disrespect for human integrity and narrowly views us as nothing but savage creatures that cannot rise to greater things without some deceptive nonsense to keep us in line like dogs on a leash. It does nothing more than show me the true character of those very people, whom are pretty much admitting how they would act if religion was proven false or taken away. These are not rational arguments, they're babblings of people that don't want to think hard and want easy answers.

or without God how do you not murder and rape?

Shutdown the dialog fast: "I don't want to go to prison again"

lol its ok I won't tell anyone o promise

That's brilliant!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21793
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.