Agnostic.com

13 4

Raising your kids as atheists/agnostics?

If you have children, are you raising them as agnostic or atheist, or are you encouraging them to question and learn on their own before deciding what they believe?

My son is a teenager now and says he is also agnostic, but I have always told him that while I do not personally believe in a god or any type of spirituality, I thought it best that he be allowed to learn about various religions if he chooses and make decisions for himself. I’m curious how others approach this.

Amie 3 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ha, ha...I never once took my children to church, told them my beliefs, talked about other beliefs, and taught them to think for themselves, I thought. They are all grown now, and while one is agnostic/atheist, the other two decided to believe in religion. Which kind of invalidates my teaching of thinking for themselves, considering religion is the biggest brainwashed group of non-thinkers on earth, lol.

marga Level 7 Feb 8, 2018

I raised my kids to choose for themselves.

I did not raise my daughter to follow any religion,but to just think for herself .I let her know of my feelings but never put a label on my non belief

I tried to remain neutral. But, I did not and would not encourage my child to go question, experiment, explore or investigate religions/churches to try them on. I think religion sucks big fat donkey dicks, so my preference would be that my child learn to manage this life with the reality of what we have -- our brains, our bodies, each other, and this planet. Coincidentally, my daughter grew up to be all but an avowed atheist.

I try to get my kids to think about what ever it is they believe. Even if I agree with them it’s good to ask why/how they came to think that.

mkap Level 2 Feb 7, 2018

I taught the value of thinking and nature. I never introduced religions, but when they came to me with questions, I would speak my ideas and communicate my thoughts. Once they had made their own conclusions, I began to speak freely with them. They knew who I was, why, and respected and understood my viewpoint.

I don't have kids and I intend to keep it that way, but if I were to sire and care for offspring I'd raise them without religion with very little discussion of atheism or agnosticism specifically. I'd make sure they had a broad understanding of the major world religions, and that they understood why the various claims, many contradictory, are unreliable because they are mythology and lack evidence. And that would dovetail with the importance of evidence-based reasoning, science, and skepticism. There are obviously no guarantees, but these are the tools I'd provide. I'd be cautious to not push an atheistic viewpoint, regardless, because I think sometimes that can backfire and childhood rebellion can swing them toward devout faith (as I've seen with one of my coworkers).

perfect

I have always been very open about religion with my kids, since they were little. My ex-husband and I are both atheists, but have allowed them to ask questions and research different styles since they were born. I have raised them to think for themselves, and if they wanted to go to church with a friend, I let them, although they always came back home and remarked how awful it was. They are both agnostic now, although my son is more atheistic than my daughter. One thing that always gets her is that there are many social activities around going to church, and she wants to have friends. So, sometimes she goes to BBQ or event at the church to hang with a friend, and almost immediately regrets it.

Very cool. I also gave my daughter the freedom to participate however she wanted with friend or family. She occasionally went - like when she was young and visiting family out of town, and that's just what they do.

I expose my daughter to various, and wide ranging, religions from a purely anthropological/historical viewpoint. Personally, I believe man created religion to satisfy the need to understand the “why’s” in their daily lives. They had no working concept of science so they attributed what they saw to the gods or god. All cultures have some form of religion, tracing back years to a time before humans gained a working knowledge of science and its place and influence in our world. The worlds religions are just another caveat to the collective culture of any one society, just as the distinctive clothing choices, regional foods, and languages are that differ from culture to culture, and make them distinct. If the negative things associated with religion could be done away with, it’s actually really fascinating to see the similarities and differences that man has invented as a way of finding their place/purpose in the world among societies around the globe, however, holding on to the archaic beliefs with such steadfast gusto is freighening in such an age of technological and scientific advances & knowledge.

Just keep them out of Sunday Schools, church services and other religious events. And keep encouraging questions and reading. I highly recommend Grimm's Fairy Tales and other tales and parables. They are not religious but deal with fundemental human issues. Every culture and tribe has them.
Peace,
Spinliesel

I allowed my wife to raise our 2 children in religion and they are still somewhat religious. They’ve given up on pressuring me to go to church with them and we don’t discuss religion much.

I taught mine how to think not what to think.

Your statement perfectly sums up the approach I’ve tried to take with my son. I value critical thinking, as well as logic and reason, and have tried to teach him to use those skills above all else in anything he pursues.

perfect Amie, I question everything and don't assume its the truth because a teacher or person in authority says so.

Both my daughters were born Atheists and grew up curious thinking Atheists. ...now @ ages 42&23 a librarian and engineer their lives are too busy to waste brain time on faith delusions

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21797
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.