Agnostic.com

1 0

Electroshock Therapy?...

phxbillcee 10 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

ECT never left. Melancholic depression can be fatal and not just from the standpoint of suicide. THere are fewer side effects from ECT than many antidepressants and it will work faster .Key point in critical cases such as these

Even tho effective, still seems extreme. That therapy just carries so much baggage from its early incarnations, & memory loss, even if supposedly temporary, is a scary thought.

@phxbillcee yes baggage from earlier incarnations. Better to read the research and know what it is legitimately being used for and the risks of that

@btroje I agree, but still, the idea of the treatment is just as frightening, to me, as the thought of either chemotherapy or radiation therapy. Maybe more so, as my brain would be involved. I don't really know if I would allow any of those treatments on me, even tho my sister went thru chemo after a mastectomy & has been in remission for years now.

& what's almost amusing about my stance is that I "consumed mass quantities" of so many different drugs for so many years & I balk at what I see as poison or "brain damaging"! Kinda amusing, in a way! Ah, the vagaries of the human psyche!

@phxbillcee I wanted to add in there earlier that there were some patients that would travel hundreds of miles to get ECT as a monthly maintainance since meds were not a possibility for them

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21822
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.