Agnostic.com

3 2

Farthest Man-Made Object...

phxbillcee 10 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Voyager 1 has left what we currently know to be the solar system, and is by now passing through that comet nursery known as the Oort Cloud. Perhaps it will merge with another alien probe and rendezvous with Captain Kirk?

V-Ger

I knew we had a satellite that just about went past Pluto recently. I saw a documentary that had the project in it. We are so much less advanced when it comes to exploring space than people think. It's still a great achievement, but can you imagine how long it would take to explore the entire universe? We just barely made it out of our own solar system after almost 10 years. The tech on the satellite will spaz out soon, and that's if it doesn't get destroyed by something out there. I'd hate to be a negative Nancy, but it's why I think colonizing Mars is a pipe dream with the technology that we have right now. Those people who signed up for it basically signed their death warrant. I'm not talking about dying of old age either.

I, personally, think Mars, & even much of the Solar System will be within reach, soon. Nearby stars, that will take much longer to get around the time involved. The "universe", no way. I don't think we'll be able to get manned missions to even the closest stars for centuries, & outside the galaxy, highly doubtful, even with unmanned probes. I still want to explore as much as we can, tho, even if most of it ends up being by robot.

@phxbillcee It's definitely worth trying to explore. Hopefully if we bring anything back it doesn't kill us all. We've only been exploring space for about 61 years. We've only had manned missions to the moon. It's not a huge amount of time, but I kind of feel it's enough to try and do more. I'm just not too sure about the technology so far though.

@phxbillcee I think it sucks that before we have any more revolutionary exploration that everyone here will be long gone by then. Mars One isn't set to leave Earth for Mars until at least 2024. I don't know how true that is.

I keep throwing stuff into the air, but I can't quite reach escape velocity. 😟

Need to eat your spinach (& get a SpaceX rocket!)

@phxbillcee I knew I was forgetting something. 😉

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21883
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.