Agnostic.com

11 2

I wonder where your conscientiousness goes when your are under anesthesia? I know when ever I have been under anesthesia I have no concept of time that passed, and often wonder if the procedure was performed. There is no memory of dreams or anything. It is like a void, or absence of being.

Leutrelle 7 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’ve had very short procedures and when I woke up I kept asking if it was over. I didn’t realize I was all done. Longer procedures I don’t do that.

I remember being up on the ceiling and looking down at me.

I look at consciousness as an emergent phenomena due to higher brain activity. Brain shuts down, no more consciousness.

yes, i agree and think being dead will be just like that which is fine by me.

Interesting question. I've never been able to answer it. All I know is that being put under for surgery is like having a light switch turned off....just that fast. I know; I've tried to catch that moment, but one minute I'm awake, and then (snap fingers) I'm not.

marga Level 7 Feb 8, 2018

Anesthesia is equivalent to death. It brings on nothingness. The difference with anesthesia is that the nothingness ends.

How does the nothingness end? Where does consciousness go during this nothingness, and from whence is it ended?

...most of the time.

At first, I thought this was a very different question that I had an answer for. When I had my wisdom teeth removed, I apparently said some shit to the super hot dental assistant. My family wouldn't tell me what I said, and just said with bright red faces, "Trust me, you don't want to know." I'm assuming my conscientiousness was straight missing while I was high.

Very restful IMO. I know a lady who's nearly addicted to having surgery. She's had sleep issues for decades and says it's the only time she ever feels rested. 😟

Being asleep is a very different brain state than anesthesia. (My dad was a neurologist and I have a small fascination for this). The brain is only just now being researched thoroughly in the way neural pathways interact in different brain processes, and I read new discoveries every week. But even more interesting, to me, is the possibility that "The Field" (See Lynn McTaggart's book of over 10 years ago) is an extension of our brain processes and that we access (or don't in case of anesthesia) a region outside of ourselves not just for processing (like ESP and Remote Viewing) but also for memories (Like "past lives", which are not our individual past lives, but a shared awareness that we are able to tap via the zero point field). There's more to this thread, like the effect of DMT (ayahuasca) and Rick Strassman's scientific experiments on what groups of people "saw" under the effect. Too bad only 2 of us appear to be interested in this lol.

part of preop drugs purpose is to give you amnesia for the procedure THey shut down that part of the brain

I've woken up from anesthesia during procedures a few times. As far as I can tell, it's really no different than being asleep.

It is to me, in that falling asleep is a gradual process and anesthesia is sudden and complete. I've woken up before, too....what interested me (after the fact) about that was that I woke up briefly, looked at the heart monitor, looked around....but there was absolutely no emotion. It was just like if a computer was collecting data. Then I went back under.

@marga To be fair, she did say being asleep, not falling asleep. Of course falling asleep on alcohol or drugs is different than falling asleep without.

@JeffMurray true....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22000
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.