Agnostic.com

2 0

QUESTION Major Grocery Chain Denies PrEP Coverage to Employees

It’s being reported that Publix, a large grocery store chain primarily in the South, will not cover drugs like Truvada, which is part of a medical procedure called pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP). It has proven astonishingly effective at preventing the transmission of HIV.
One of the more prominent supermarket brands in the southeast, it has taken a hard line against including the HIV-prevention medication known as pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) in the insurance coverage it offers workers. But it remains a mystery whether the company is blocking coverage for PrEP due to cost concerns or the growing cry of employers (such as Hobby Lobby) that don’t want to cover medical care for issues or people they deem morally objectionable…

Dougy 7 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is why we need single payer health care in the US. I don't want my employer having any say over what health choices I make. And now I know to boycott Publix and I have boycotted Hobby Lobby for a few years. Thanks for sharing this information.

Publix representatives were contacted numerous times for an explanation of the company’s decision, and they responded with a brief statement noting that “the health plans offered by Publix provide generous medical and prescription coverage.” “Annually, we evaluate benefits covered under our health plans,” Publix spokesperson Brenda Reid wrote in the statement. “There are numerous medications covered by the plan used in the treatment of HIV.” “There are some medications that have coverage limitations or require prior authorization,” Reid added. “Any Publix associate with questions regarding his or her coverage can contact our benefits department directly.”
The employee Holland assisted appealed the initial denial, was rejected twice more, and “was the only one we were not able to resolve through an appeal,” Holland said. “What we found out from the insurance company was that it came, ultimately, from the employer,” he added. “It wasn’t just an insurance issue; it was [that] the employer did not want it covered in the insurance.”
That’s a non-answer from Publix. It’s not clear at this point what the motivation is. It would be bad enough if it’s just a cost-cutting move because, while the drug really is quite expensive, it’s not like a big percentage of their employees will be on it, only those at high risk of HIV infection (which means primarily gay men, who are only a small percentage of the population). But if it’s due to some sort of religious objection, that’s far worse. But we don’t know yet because the company is being intentionally vague about it.

The bottom line is that people are probably going to die as a result of this. Not only should it be covered, it should be free for anyone who is in a high-risk group, whether they work for Publix or not. Lives will be saved if we made that a reality.

Dougy Level 7 Feb 7, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22050
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.