Agnostic.com

5 4

I want to retire abroad someday. Any advice?

I still have 5 - 10 years, but all I'll have to live on will be social security (if it still exists), so I'm hoping to find somewhere fabulous that I can also afford. Hopefully with access to healthcare if necessary. I would let my son have my house here, so I would be renting. I like Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama, Columbia and Belize in the Americas, but I wouldn't rule out Mexico or further into South America. I also like Prague, Ireland or maybe Croatia in Europe. Australia and New Zealand would also be okay, depending on the cost of living. I don't know much about living in Asia, but I'm listening. The goal is to live cheaply (and simply), but also in a very cool place, near oceans or mountains or both with nice people. This group is quite global, so I appreciate any advice.

Tecolote 7 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Look at standard of living, cost of living, and crime rate. Probably most important is whether or not you'll be happy there. I guess it comes down to how you want to spend the days of your life.

Marz Level 7 Feb 11, 2018

I've been looking at Ecuador, Chile, Uruguay, and Portugal--from the standpoint of both a retiree and a political refugee. I'd like to include New Zealand in that list, but there's a whole 'nother income level involved there.

@Tecolote Just thought of something else. Wherever you decide on, go there first and spend some time in it, get a feel for it, maybe take a language class if it's a non-English-speaking country. Also get a feel for the expat community there--it can be a great source of connection and support, but if you see that all they do is bitch about the host culture, head somewhere else. That happened to me a few times when I was living overseas, and it's toxic.

WHY not do what your dream is... it's all about harmless happiness. I say follow your dream...

@Tecolote. Alrighty!

I have two very good friends that both retired at separate times to Quito, Ecuador. They both have been there for a few years and love it. I'm going to try to go visit one in the next couple of years to see how I like it.

Duke Level 8 Feb 8, 2018

You speak Spanish, no? My knee jerk reaction is Mexico, but I worry about violence. For some reason, I've never thought further south than Panama.
But I'd to visit Prague and NZ. I know, no help.

@Tecolote My mother is Mexican American, but Dad was half Czech American and spoke what I assume was fluent Czech. I speak restaurant Spanish and could probably order a beer in Czech. It does look beautiful. Prague, that is.

@Tecolote No, I havent seen it. I'll look for it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22056
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.