Agnostic.com

5 2

LINK Truly Strange: The Secret Life of Breasts

I saw this on the Smithsonian Channel last night and it is a must see for women.

“In 1989 the average breast volume was 405 ml. By 2012 that number has almost doubled”, “Girls are getting breast growth even as young as 7.” This last item was especially prevalent for African-Americans. Some of the things presented on the show is scary and the chemicals that surround us are even giving many men breasts.

JackPedigo 9 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

heh heh, boobs are cool.

Even man boobs???

@JackPedigo Man boobs are the work of Satan.

@Sgt_Spanky Man boobs are the work of man.

@JackPedigo and too many cheeseburgers

@Sgt_Spanky Maybe, even tRump has them and has to wear a boob girdle.

The alarm seems more mainstream now. I read an article years ago about how girls were entering puberty earlier but it was 'speculation' as to whether the chemicals in our food and water were the cause.
I think we only have to look at the culprits denials which were later proven to be the cause, examples would be the tobacco industry, leaded gasoline, etc.
Many have tried to sound the alarm over these chemicals but the push back from monsanto etal is huge and our government is bought off.

Unfortunately, people need to educate themselves and programs like this help.

My daughter entered puberty at age 11. I entered puberty at 14.

The increase in women and girls' breast size, and decrease of the age of puberty is partly due to:

1. Obesity: Over 60% of adult women in America are obese (and 75% of adult men.)

2. Chemicals in our water and food.
    The prevalence of obesity was 18.5% and affected about 13.7 million children and adolescents. Obesity prevalence was 13.9% among 2- to 5-year-olds, 18.4% among 6- to 11-year-olds, and 20.6% among 12- to 19-year-olds. Childhood obesity is also more common among certain populations. Aug 13, 2018.

Obesity was a big part of the program. But obesity doesn't affect breast milk. There are a lot of factors that are changing our bodies and it is getting scary. I sometimes think Mother Nature is trying to tell us something.

We are constantly changing. Our DNA can't keep up.

I don't see us changing, I see us being changed from the modern world and all it's chemicals. I just read an extensive report about the plight of the Orca's in our area (Southern residence) as compared to those from further North. The ones in the north are thriving because the waters are not polluted as the ones in my area. Again, chemicals.

I read about this in the New Yorker at least 20 years ago. Chemicals similar to estrogen leach ot of many plastics, driving girls into puberty earlier and earlier. Now, thanks to the trashing of the oceans, the stuff is in the marine food chain, which means we are now eating plastic. Where will it all end?

@Gurahl I am an eco-warrior because I care and I also look to clear and science proven facts. Sorry, I don't buy the usual "media" propaganda unless of course, it's from Faux non-news.

@Gurahl
I think you may be confusing the contents of one or two papers with scientific community consensus. The latter only comes about after a given result has been replicated and thoroughly verified with dozens or hundreds of independent studies. This process has, by the way, roundly confirmed that humans are having a tremendously negative impact on the level of biodiversity on the planet. We are the prime cause of ongoing mass extinction through over-fishing, poaching, habitat destruction (urban development, desertification, and deforestation), pollution, eutrophication, biomagnification, and global warming. What each if us does individually is relatively insignificant, but now there are 7.5 billion of us and we are simply too numerous to NOT affect our environment. At least not doing business as usual. We will certainly have to change how we do things. And the sooner the better. If not, we can kiss this civilization, and most species on Earth, goodby.

@Gurahl
By the tenor of your writing it sounds to me like you would do well to take a college-level course on ecology. Obviously I cannot provide that to you here, but I can leave you with this general rule of thumb: you cannot change just one thing in an ecosystem. Everything is interconnected, and changing one thing leads to other, often unforseen consequences. Pull the wrong thread and the whole tapestry could unravel. In ecology that means eliminating a keystone species leads to wholesale collapse of the ecosystem.

It's true that a mass extinction that wiped out the dinosaurs left many unfilled niches that were later filled by mammals. Were it not for this our species probably would not have had the ecological space to evolve. However, if it is your own species that is going extinct, that obviously does not help you. We cannot just shrug off another mass extinction as a non-event. It matters. And it can and should be avoided. To anything less than our level best would be deeply immoral.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:221367
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.