Agnostic.com

4 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You choose what to consume on social networks. You decide what is relevant for you to read and share. I am not against all these struggles and protests. I do not agree to do so violently and against human rights. Everyone has an opinion; my opinion cannot be as accurate as yours. It's my life, my rules. Guys, my advice, don't consume much news. Peace and love. Use social media to grow your business, to share valuable information, to share your knowledge. Don't gossip, and don't be mean. I like using Facebook; I want to follow people on Instagram, people that inspire me. That's why I choose precisely people that follow me on my Instagram account through [famoid.com] app. Real followers that would share my values and my points of view.

I think social media can exacerbate problems that have existed long before social media existed. Various studies have indicated that social media is making us sadder, angrier, less empathetic, more fearful, more isolated and more tribal Of course this doesn't automatically push everyone that uses social media over the edge into completely awful behaviors, but it may give many just that little extra nastiness to create a significant negative impact.

no. i don't agree at all. i think social media has just given it a platform, as it gives everything a platform, including the fight AGAINST misogyny. the right wing has elevated misogyny to new levels of real violence, as if the levels weren't high, real and violent enough before. men are not killing their girlfriends and wives more because of social media. they're killing them more because the people who have been in power are misogynist and encourage such attitudes.

g

I still think social media encourages it, because these men have now found they are not alone, and that makes it seem more acceptable. Whereas before, they might have been misogynistic but alone, now they have people rooting them on. It's not like there hasn't always been misogyny, but now there's a cheering section, so to speak. I think it helps them to bring out what might have been a vague feeling, and now becomes overt.

@tnorman1236 for sure -- but it has its counterbalance too. what i mentioned doesn't.

g

@genessa The counterbalance may be there on social media, but I'm quite sure these guys don't see it. That's one of the problems. Everybody stays in their little bubble of like-minded thought, and never venture out into other ideas. Just because it's there, doesn't mean they're exposed to it.

@tnorman1236 no, they don't. but those of us who fight it do. and you've just given a good counter to your own argument, for these bubbleheads will find confirmation wherever they go (whether it's there or not).

g

As if we don't have enough to put up with already.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:221779
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.