Agnostic.com

13 7

So, there are at least 2 posts asking what you should say when you sneeze and someone says "bless you". I don't understand the issue.

If someone holds a door open for me I say "thanks" I probably didn't need the door held open for me, I probably would have gotten out at the exact same speed, and with the exact same capability if it hadn't been held. Yet I still say "thanks". Why?

Some people will say its polite, and I suppose that's true. Much like two ships passing in the night would flash their lights, never to see each other again, this simple act of togetherness is one of the glues which bond our society into a cohesive whole. Politeness is important, and its one of the few traditions which cross cultures, language barriers, and even religious ones.

So, how about instead of using it as a spot to plant your soapbox, we all just say "thanks". You can laugh at them on the inside.

ThereisnoDog 5 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

as for bless you I tell the origin [ the beubonic plague] . the first sign of the disease was a cold so if you sneezed the priest would give you your last rites ! Bless you my son / daughter. holding the door is lovely and i love that interaction

I sometimes say it, out of lifelong habit. I don't spazz over it.

If I sneeze and someone says "bless you," I say "thanks." When someone else sneezes, I say "gesundheit."

The response to a sneeze in German is GESUNDHEIT !

Why do you care how others respond? To each their own.

Why care about anything? Because I'm not a Nihilist?

Yeah, sure ThereisnoDog People like you irritate the hell out of me. Talk to yourself, blocking you is far too easy. Bye Bye.

Really a non-issue to me.

Thanks... I say that. The wife uses all that bless you stuff. It's harmless to me.

I don't say bless you. Seems dumb to me. No one says anything when you burp or fart, it's then up to us to say excuse me. So it would seem even more logical to say excuse me when you sneeze (For sending my germs your way).

They once believed that your soul tries to escape when you sneeze. Another person would say "bless you"...because you just didn't die. Some truth: your heart skips when you sneeze and cough.

I, too, just say thanks and move on. And I say bless you, as well. I don't see either one as religious or secular, just polite.

marga Level 7 Feb 8, 2018

I say the same and I recommend it my self.

In my humble opinion (and we all know what they say about opinions) it is just as bad for an Agnostic/Atheist to spout off about their beliefs as it is a more secular person. I agree......say "thanks" and move on.

I'm good with that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22198
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.