Agnostic.com

13 3

I Would Love To Know Why Getting A Refund Isn't As Fast As Making A Purchase.

Its funny when you make a purchase, the amount is deducted often the Same Day or Maybe the Next Day Depending on your Financial Institution.

When you refund an item, Its really interesting how it take 3-5 Business days or sometimes 7 business days or longer.

I don't think that is fair to the consumer.

Any Thoughts?

twshield 8 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree twshield, I went to home depot, to return a few items, they told me that it would take about a week to get my refund, two weeks later and no refund was posted to my acct. I had to physically drive to home depot and talk to someone about it, they put the blame on the bank, so naturally I called the bank, the bank blamed h.d., I went back and forth with them for about a month before it finally showed up on my statement

The amount is probably leaving your account, but not added to the account of the seller. That might cost as long as it takes to get a refund back. The refund leaves the account of the seller and arrives at your account a few days later. It is a quite old use of banks. In the Netherlands they called it Value days. Those 2 or 3 days the bank uses it to make profit for themselves. But in those days they didn't charge you for using your account. They needed that money for operational management, now they need it for extra profit to be able to pay the shareholders their dividend. No, it's not fair anymore, it's theft now.

Gert Level 7 Feb 9, 2018

You are correct . I believe it has to do with interest . They're not dealing with tiny amounts of money . The longer their accounts hold your money , along with that of a lot of other people's money, the more interest they collect . Your money isn't just sitting in their savings account , waiting to be returned to you . It's part of a much larger pool that is invested . Rather than being just a few drops in a glass , it's more like being a part of a huge swirling ocean , which , by using statistics , allows them to retain an over-all pool of money simply by detaining your refund .

Many stones can build a building.

Are you kidding ? You have obviously never had to manage a business accounting department, and had to protect yourself from both consumers and dishonest staff.

The stories I could tell you ....

Well, why not sharing?

Too much typing for all of them - but here is one.

My Uncle owned a Video shop, and employed a girl to run the store.

They found out that she had discovered a technique for writing off "damaged" videos and selling them cheaply to her friends.

This technique is why you have to sign for refunds from places like big hardware stores , so auditors can follow up individual refunds, and why stores will often send you a cheque, or insist they refund to the same card you paid with, instead of the cashier refunding you from the till.

This is where bricks & mortor stores come in handy . Don't like something ? Take it back . You only have to wait in line . You still can't beat IRL service .

Dougy Level 7 Feb 8, 2018

Generally, even B&M stores credit back to the payment type you originally paid. if you payed with a credit or debit card it still takes 3+ days for the credit to post to your account.

interest $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The same reason most of my employers paid bi-weekly.
They want to keep our money in their account for a week longer.

exactly and the same reason a lot of money is held back as long as possible from anyone, especially big companies who deal with a lot of people.

Holding up one refund for a week won't get much interest but when you do it with all refunds it adds up. Companies routinely delay payment on debts for similar reasons.

There is a lot of fraud with returns at some stores.

The answer is simple. Companies with questionable moral leadership try to discourage people from applying for refunds. It is a part of the culture of greed.

My thoughts are, you are exactly right about the way this part of life works. The simple answer. Because they can.

A tad more of an answer -- everybody has their jobs and most companies do not have one person who does the four or five different jobs of selling a product, discussing or processing the refund with the customer, processing the refund in the computer and requesting the refund, approving the request, and finally pushing the keys that say "Here, the money is now yours." Every step must be taken -- and each person is doing their one or two steps probably hundreds of times per day.

And, now that I think about it -- getting that product into your hands didn't happen overnight either. It had to be manufactured, go through QC (hopefully), packaged, shipped, priced, security devices applied for the thieves, displayed put on the shelf or rack, and one day finally checked out at the register. Not possible to do all that in 3-5 business days.

Don't shoot me. 🙂 Again, my short answer -- because they can. 🙂

Funny, I have a friend that sells cameras on E Bay from time to time and she is always complaining that the buyer take advantage of E Bay's return policy which basically says that within a certain time period she has to accept the return and refund the money or replace the item. She recently sold a camera and a week latter the person indicated it was being returned. She found out that this person had gotten the camera to take wedding photos and then returned it.
Companies are aware that some people will buy items, use and return them, but the guarantee of satisfaction is a marketing ploy so they keep the option available but make it harder for the person returning the items to do so, like requiring you to fill out a form, paying for shipping, waiting for the return to be processed and so on.

cava Level 7 Feb 8, 2018

That's just freaking WRONG.

And, you know what -- can't help it -- almost ALWAYS, my first thought is "I bet it was a Christian."

I had a VERY religious friend in Seattle. Always talking about god, church, jesus, praying, amen and all that.

One day at lunch, she was talking about her cable tv "hook up" -- in other words, free/fraudulent cable. I very calmly and politely said "So, I'm just curious, how do you reconcile with your god or jesus your choice to get cable without paying for it?" She paused, thought for half a second and said all that she could say "I don't know. That's a good question."

People "buy" expensive tools at Lowe's and then return them after they use them to complete a job...free rental basically. Such as pressure washers, pneumatic nail guns, etc.

I couldn't resist, and googled. The top answer does a great job of explaining it, though. 🙂

@twshield Word! You're welcome.

They make interest on the money the longer they hold it. They are profiting with your money!

There it is...

Eh........I think that's a tad conspiracy-ish. Not full on conspiracy, but just a tad. But, think about it. How much interest is ANY company going to make in 3-5 business days on a $28 return?

Disclaimer: The above was written by somebody who generally trusts more than most people here -- at least it would seem so based on another thread. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22204
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.