Agnostic.com

124 3

What would make you believe in a God?

What would need to happen for you to be able to distguish between a God and more advanced technology.

paul1967 8 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

124 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

pardon, are you pertaining to the God of Moses, the God Almighty? Many people specially non-Christians believe in the gods of earth elements like fire and water, farmers in the god of harvest, etc.

And even Christians of the Catholic denomination believe in so many gods. But that's not surprising because, according to historical accounts, the Emperor Constantine's condition for Rome to become Christian, thereby averting the escalation of civil war, is to adopt Pagan rituals and traditions.

And there is also a mention in the Bible about a "council of gods".

I don't know if those whom we call "aliens" (in their UFOs) have a god of their own but I'm sure they have a leader. The scientific and high technology communities keep mentioning about advanced alien technology

Either show me something clearly supernatural or give me drugs to turn of my sense of reason.

If someone could scientifically explain how any deity's miracles apply to the laws of nature

Exactly my thoughts

For starters, (s)he (them or it) should deposit a very large amount in a Swiss bank account set up in my name. Once it's there and I can withdraw funds (as long as it's not a bank holiday), then PERHAPS I'd believe. And I don't want to co-sign for the funds.

Evidence.

Draco Level 6 Sep 23, 2017

nothing

tonia Level 5 Sep 25, 2017

Proof

First, I would have would have to KNOW that he exists in order BELIEVE in the existence of a god.

But, how could you ever know?

Proof

Nothing!

An extremely skilled Hypnotist expert & an overdose of a drug that makes one believe anything.

LMAO

Verifiable proof there is no sufficient evidence to even support the smallest belief in god not one shred. For thousands of years people have made these wild and completely unsubstantiated claims with the only evidence being claims made in a holy book. That is not evidence that is a story and if this was a court case they would have lost easily.

I can't disagree with logic and facts

I've had some really interesting dreams and psychedelic experiences that had me convinced in the moment... those were fun, and totally unassociated with a religious god. But that's about as close as I've come... What would it take? The fabric of reality dropping from my eyes like a snake shedding its skin while I'm stone cold sober and well rested... Whatever happens after that better come with a lot of details, but yeah... that's about what it would take.

That sounds about right. I can't think of anything except dying and going to heaven (which I would turn around and leave immediately if at all possible) or going to Hell. Even then I might think I had just lost my mind.

nothing could make me believe in the god of the bible. Man created god, not the other way around, he is a work of fiction. As far as believing in some supreme being or at least some higher form of life being out there in the universe, it would just take some irrefutable evidence.

In our world, people typically speak of god as 1 individual that created everything.
The Abrahamic gods are all nonsense, you only have to read a bit in the bible, torah, or koran to realize what nonsense they are. Actaully, just start with Abrahm, a god that would make him tie his son on an alter and almost stick a knife in him is unworshipful to me. Abraham is a nightmare, and the little god he created only got worse, nastier, more petty, and more vindictive with age.

As for proof, the idea that one creature did everything isn't believable. Perhaps trillions of beings somehow could do something like the earth, much less the entire universe.

If he could turn off the invisibility for a bit it'd help. Personal face to face communication, perhaps as he raised just a itty bitty little mountain out of the earth under my feet. Pretty simple for a being that can poof an entire universe into existance. Can't understand why he'd care what I thought of him or didn't think of him though?

meeting god face to face

Nothing. Maybe aliens if they should show up, but not gods.

The only way would meeting face to face

If 'god' exists, it would know exactly what would convince me. Either it is unable to, unwilling, doesn't care, or simply does not exist.

That's a Mattism but worth repeating as you have done.

I agree with your every word. In fact, this god would know what it would take to make any person believe and that would be the evidence god would have provided. Scripture says god does not want anyone to perish, so why the lack of evidence? It can't be about "faith." Did the 500 people who saw the risen Jesus have faith? No, they did not need it. Paul wanted to convince everyone, but we might ask if Jesus even knew 500 people. If he did, how would they know him? Was he floating in the air or did he show them all his hands that will now remain nail scarred forever? For the record, I no longer believe the Goat and Sheep Herders Guide to the Galaxy. Too much nonsense.

Nothing, because if god is immortal, but all powerful, and I asked it to kill itself without coming back from the dead; if it doesn't do it, it can't be all powerful, and it does achieve, it can't be immortal

I might be missing something so excuse my question but could he still be all powerful and not agree to your terms? And most educated theist don't use the term "all" anymore because of the obvious logical inconsistencies. They instead refer to God as being maximally powerful. He can do anything within the framework of logical possibilities.

There should be no logic for god

Why would you challenge God to die for you? Jesus died for your sins. Perhaps going backward in time he died as you wanted him to, and in the "Second Coming of Christ" when he comes to show you the proof of his resurrection, I hope he tells you, "Now it is your turn to prove if you are immortal or mortal and let us see if you know how to resurrect or not, just for the Hell of it."

Jesus died on a Friday and rose on a Sunday, so he give up his weekend; what was my sin; if god can do anything, then he would not mind the test, without resurrecting himself; in the words of Christopher Hitchens, I did not ask for him to die for my sins; why punish someone for what two people did,that sounds like North Korea to me

First someone needs to define "God" better than it is being represented. I am having trouble with how others assume God is all Loving & Righteous. A lot of times God is based on Cultural Ideas. God of the Jews or other Religions. I find this definition a God that is Racist & Likes Slavery. I may believe there is such a God, but do I want it to rule my Life? What I want for my Life is other issues that serve a better situation than how Cultural "God's" are forced on us. If I think there is a God that is really showing a concern for me, then? I have nothing against that, but? I'm not really seeing that part, other than chauvinism where others really just want us to believe in their Religious God for their choice of Lifestyles about it.

What if there's a god for believers and no god for unbelievers? I have experienced absurdities or co-incidences that I attributed to my Belief system at the time. In denial of god, a natural state, there is no god to deny.

Evidence. David Hume has written well on this subject. You can find his thoughts in Christopher Hitchens's compendium "The Portable Atheist."

Complete physical, irrefutable proof.

Just curious why are there 3 or 4 people with the same picture of you. Are you all twins or something?

It's the default picture.

NOTHING

Well if God was real when people pray things would happen but they pray after a disaster. I.f God was real there would be no need to pray because the disaster wouldn't have happened in the first place. He is supposed to be all caring and loving but look at the world.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:223
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.