Agnostic.com

24 1

Any ideas about how to overcome fear in public speaking? Are there any people that improved this skill? What about techniques used for?

I think one of the greatest skill is public speaking.
It's a new challenge for me to improve this skill and that's really hard for me because I have a lot of fear. I watched more video about techniques to overcome fear and to be a good speaker.
I strive for progres in public speaking.

Sensiwoman7 6 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was a US Army instructor for Food Service Sanitation for 33 months. I have given classes on other subjects as well.... my advice; know your subject and be able to answer any questions pertaining to your subject. Repetition builds confidence....

Thank you so much!

Practice! Also... When speaking to a larger crowd... Pick out 4-5 people in different spots and speak to them. That way it looks like you are speaking to everyone! Once you relax a little... Start looking at others.

Another good thing is to do "checkbacks"... Asking your audience if they understand or have questions. It gives you a break sometimes and you ensure they are understanding your content.

Thank you so much!

In America, public speaking is the biggest fear, over death. Over 10,000 people attended my seminars in my first seven years of business, for groups up to 1,000 people. Based on years of public speaking:

Fifteen Tips for Public Speaking

1. Preparation. Research and write down what you want to say. Type your notes, print in large font with numbered pages. Circle, bold and underline key points.

1. Provide clear, simple, bright visual aids of the main points. Only 20% of people are auditory learners. Most people are visual learners. Visual aids are especially helpful for people with English as a second language.

2. Practice. Time your presentation. Know your subject inside-and-out.

3. Dress professionally. Use good posture. Take slow, deep breaths. Smile.

4. Say affirmations aloud as you drive to the venue. This warms up your voice.

"I am a strong, calm, enthusiastic speaker."

"I think well on my feet."

"I listen to what people want and need."

"I am lucky to have this opportunity and these people are lucky to work with me."

"I enjoy leading this group."

1. Drink warm water. Cold water constricts your vocal cords. Avoid caffeine as it makes you nervous.

2. Arrive early. Set up and get help with the microphone. Take slow breaths.

3. To calm your nerves, stand at the door and greet people as they arrive. Introduce yourself, shake hands, and welcome them. When you walk up to the front and face people, they are your friends.

4. Provide small group exercises. People love this. Ask people to divide into groups of 3-4. Give them ten minutes to discuss a key point or question, such as, "How do you handle conflict?" (For a seminar on conflict resolution.)

5. If you give them a break, make it an odd number. "You have 11 minutes." People laugh and look at their watch. They return on time.

6. Start by saying, "I am happy to be here. This will be a fun and interesting session." Don't begin with a joke. A joke is risky and may fall flat.

7. Walk around. Don't hide behind the podium. People grin, watching me get wound up in the microphone cord. I laugh and unwind myself.

8. Avoid contractions, such as "can't." People hear "can." Speak clearly.

9. You can't please everyone. If you feel hurt by criticism, listen for the kernel of truth, learn from it, and let the bad feelings go.

Finally, watch your language. Afterward, one man said my saying "pissed off" offended him. I apologized. From then on, I used "ticked off" instead.

Took a speech 1 class at the local community college in high school that helped. Out of college jumped into theater facing my fears head on and absolutely loved it. Lots of soul searching, but mostly keep doing it and the fear will subside.

JUST GET OUT THERE AND SPEAK. THE IDEA is to get as much talk time in front of people under your belt as possible. doesn't matter how many folks...just go out and speak. Go to poetry readings, go to open mic.'s and read poems...it's fantastic. I LOVE speaking in public. I am most comfortable speaking on stage, singing, playing my guitar, etc. Get into it and enjoy yourself...take an acting class!
Public speaking is the most feared event to man...beating out fear of death. When you face that fear...you can do ANYTHING!!! GO TO KARAOKE...it doesn't matter if you can sing...people will bitch and moan...just talk back to them...INTERACT with your audience!!!
GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!

Thank you so much!

I use to be horrifically afraid of public speaking. Then, I joined the military, and got in trouble, a lot, due to my outspokenness. This forced me to have to be ridiculed in front of the entire company (about 120 men and women), and once in front of the entire battalion (about 650 men and women). I am now able to easily speak in large groups. What I learned the hard way was, the only thing stopping you from being proficient at public speaking, is your own self. Gaining confidence occurs two ways, by force, or by a "fuck it" mentality where you just tell yourself "go for it!".

Don't know if they are still around, but ToastMasters International had a program that helped med get over the fear of public speaking.

Practice makes perfect... No shortcuts

Practice filler phrases. Most people work themselves up into a good fluster when their mind goes blank or there's too much dead air time. Memorize generic phrases or jokes to fill dead air until you find your place again.
Find one person in the audience who reminds you of someone you know and pretend you're speaking only to them. Occasionally look at the back wall or lights or something so it doesn't get creepy.
Figure out what you want to do with your hands before you hit the stage. Clasp behind back, pockets, by your side, whatever keeps you from being over fidgety.

I am horrible at being part of a crowd. I possum immediately. But I love a stage. At least on a stage if you make a mistake you can play it off like you meant to do it.

Thank you so much!

I recommend practice, practice, practice. Talk to pets. Talk to children. Talk to the walls. As with anything, practice practice, practice. Also, take a class in HOW to speak in public so you know you're doing it correctly. Perhaps join your local toastmasters. And remember that most fear of public speaking is because you care what the audience thinks and you don't want them to laugh at you. Stop caring what they think and care what YOU think. If YOU think you're doing it well, that's all that counts.

Thank you so much for your advices. They will help me. Didn't know about toastmasters. I'll try it. Thank you

You could practice on smaller groups and gradually work your way up. At a certain point the number stops mattering. You may still get nervous infront of massive crowds but at that point you know exactly how to control it. I used to never sing infront of people, now i sing while i'm walking around work. Ive been able to go up and ask people, with some kind of power where they work, about donating to my job (its a nonprofit). It does also help to know what you are saying; prepare for that how ever you memorize something best.

Thank you so much!

I do so much public speaking I really don't think about it any more. When I was young, instrumental, acting, or singing solo performances on stage with a large audience was almost stressful. One director noted, if you are worried about public performances, focus on a spot on the wall behind your audience. I think another method to prevent fear is to develop (practice) speaking (lines) into a mirror to gain confidence. I'm sure you will do well.

Thank you so much for your advice!

some people say it helps to envision your audience naked. i think i would laugh too hard to speak if i did that, but then i am not afraid of public speaking (i don't say this to boast; i am afraid of plenty of stuff, just not that!)

if you don't benefit from picturing them all naked, then just picture them as one big person, and that person really wishes you well and wants to hear what you have to say. make eye contact with various people and smile when you do that. make your speech conversational, not stiff.

i hope this helps.

g

That's interesting and funny idea! Thank you! I will do it. It might work

@Sensiwoman7 i'd be interested in hearing the results, which of course i hope are fabulous 🙂)

g

Public speaking is easier if you have something that you want to say. I am talking on Minnows tonight.

Just be. Don’t try and sound any correct way. Because there isn’t. Don’t worry if you stubble over words, just play it of as it was supposed to happen.

Yes, pretend the audience is naked. That is how they do it in Hollywood.

I would say it's mostly practice start with smaller groups and work your way up just like anything in life.

I am far from being a good public speaker, and never will be good at it. After all you can prop up any meat head or Barbie Doll "babe" in front of an audience and get their fascist attention. If you don't fit that mold it is harder, and you have to actually rely on twitteer tweet ADHD minds giving attention to the development of ideas. What, without a great bod to catch their eyes ? Might be difficult to do. Anyway it helps if you are not too self consciousness, and thus the anti-intellectuals usually have it. They spew without much thought or awareness. Others of us are far too self conscious to ever be good at it. So you get Prince Charles speaking carefully and cautious about every nuance of every word. The typical meat head is likely to be more strongly applauded despite the lack of content and care. As to nervousness beyond that, making one tongue tied, it takes practice. I used to read poetry at public readings. Was nervous as hell at first, but one gets used to it, and poetry often has less than fully attentive, sometimes even hostile, meat headed audiences adding to the challenge. Back then you did not have to be a fascist poet, and did not have to have a great bod either, but gradually that changed to where there was more fascism in poetry also. To some audiences the body of the presenter became more important than the content of the poem. It determined the level of attention, and the content was largely neglected anyway and forgotten. I stopped doing readings. Any gym rat could get up there are command fascist attention. So what was the point ?

I was told Pretend they are naked, didn't help I just got excited, So I also am a Terrible Public Speaker hehe, I say what I have to say when Needed, Just Do It

I try imagine either no one is actually there, or I am just talking a group of my closest friends.

The first thing i was told when public speaking was to imagine the whole crowd naked. it does help you relax.

Nothing beats just being in front of people and saying things. Start small. Let the fear strengthen you!

Possibly exposure therapy, among other things. Acknowledging the fear is a good first step.

Practice just do it whenever possible on the street at work have some friends over get them drunk first you'll be a star

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:223002
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.