Agnostic.com

3 4

We often take English for granted.
But very few people speak English in countries where I've lived.

In Haiti, only elite or urban people could, or those who worked on our mission. In Mexico, I had to use Spanish or perish..it seemed like nobody in Hermosillo spoke English.

Here in Songkhla, Thailand, I can go months without seeing anyone Caucasian, or hearing English, except online, or on TV.

A few minutes ago, two young Thai men got into the elevator with me in my apartment building.
They were confused by my petite figure (100 lbs), dark brown hair, appearance, manner of dress (Thai clothes), and location (in a Thai apartment building) and began talking in low voices about me.
I don't look like the typical tall, heavier, blonde American, so maybe I was Thai.

"Is she a foreigner?"
"I don't know!"

Each time they asked each other that, I'd smile and say, "Kah! (yes)," until they finally noticed it, and stopped talking, looking sheepish.

I quickly reassured them that although I'm foreign, I do speak some Thai. In Thailand, being a foreigner and speaking Thai are usually mutually exclusive.

They stared in silence a moment, then cautiously asked again, "So, you're really a (farang) foreigner?"
I said I was from America.

They continued to stare skeptically at me..apparently suspicious of being pranked, but eventually cheered up and when they got off, summoned their best English skills and said proudly, "Good-bye!"
I laughed and said good-bye in English also.

In Thailand, I praise anyone attempting to use English at all, since few people can speak it, and they are just trying to please me.

The photo, of me posing with a famous Thai pop singer, shows how similar we look. Every country I've lived, people have assumed I'm a native.

birdingnut 8 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are countries that teach several languages -mostly for the proximity among them - and for general education,
I began to study English when I was a kid because my parents decided it was the right thing to do....but I also learned French -not as well- in regular school and Italian in the university (because I wanted). Now, to pretend that people in other countries -with an official language established by the Constitution- speak English for the convenience of Americans is not only a little too much but begs the question "Why Americans do not learn a second / third language fluently? "

Aussie English is different to yours

Are you referring to the accent?

Is that.... a batman logo? over his left shoulder?

Could be. We were at a mall in Hat Yai, Thailand, to launch the English version of the Thai pop hit, "Country Boy," because I, and several of my fellow foreign teachers had been drafted by our boss to be actors in the music video. I was even famous that year, with Thai people calling out my lines to me as I passed them.

@birdingnut I hope you got mesmerized as I did by the Royal Palace and the smiling buddha.

@DUCHESSA Since I arrived in 2010, I have lived in places not frequented by tourists or foreigners, only visited Bangkok when I had to visit the embassy, or wanted to buy another DVD US TV series set (before Netflix came to Thailand), so missed seeing the palace, sadly. But there are many beautiful temples, palaces, and national parks I've seen that most people haven't.

@birdingnut I thought I was adventurous. You are the queen of adventure in my book! 🙂

@Dick_Martin Thanks!
My daughter had another word for it.."loser," but changed her tune when she visited me for two months in 2016.
She finally admitted, "No wonder you came here..you are living in paradise!" True to form (she's lived with the natives all over the world, becoming fluent in their languages) she quickly picked up enough Thai to get around both Songkhla and Hat Yai, two cities, while I was at work.

@birdingnut We went allover Bangkok and saw all those beauties you hint at. The carvings in the Royal Palace are mesmerizing. Pattiya (sp?) is also a lovely place in that country. We received the year 1995 there.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22331
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.