Agnostic.com

18 5

I was telling a friend today that there are times that I wish I was an alcoholic, because whenever I felt was facing my feelings, I could go to a meeting and find some support. I find it difficult as an adult to find that kind of support. I want raised in that mind of environment and most of my friendships have come and gone. Does anyone else ever wish they had something like that?

AuntieMame 6 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This post has been up for a while now. Chiming in a bit late, but by now I think you must realize that this site serves as that support group, no? A large mass of like-minded, non-judgmental (hopefully), intelligent people who will push you up. =] I have found this place to be much more of a social networking site than a dating site, which is fine. This is how life works, right? You get to know someone socially first and things may grow from there.

Yes, I have found this place very helpful in that regard. It's nice to "hang out" somewhere without bracing myself for "have a blessed day"

Also look up the history of AA.

Alcoholism sucks ass. I was married to a high functioning one.
The more money he made, the more and better stuff he drank. Then one day he was dx'd with cancer and a brain met, and quit cold turkey. I often suspect that if he'd not had such an awful habit, perhaps he'd not have torn up his gut health, which is connected to EVERYTHING, or at the very least would have caught it earlier and maybe he'd still be here. But no.

He lost so much time trying to escape "feelings" due to the legacy of inheriting a repressed nature from his wretched mother.

you don't have to be an alcoholic to come here. everyone wants a sense of connection and support,

I don't have a support group anymore.

Is that something you want?

No. I just need friends whom aren't always so busy, and that want to talk to me.

kinda ... Sometimes when I am depressed I figure. "Shit - I should just become an alcoholic as all these bad things are happening to me and I'm not even an alcoholic or drug addict but if I were, at least I'd have an excuse. "

I've even sorta tried - didn't work. It isn't in my personality. Now, I'm just trying hard to take responsibility for things and trying to not judge myself too harshly.

You could check out my comment farther down.

@kmdskit3 Thanks - yeah, I'm doing very well now.

I used to have something like that. trust me waking up after the piss in your jeans has gone cold after yet another night with really cheap nasty booze is not even close to funny.

There are a gajillion 12 step programs. Being in DFW there is bound to be one that you would find helpful.
As someone who attended 12 step for a while, it is nice to have people that actually care about you, but a lot of it is based on having someone that understands your particular problem.

Like @josh_karpf commented there are non-beverage 12-step programs. I go to Emotions Anonymous. I have posted and commented about being a non-believer in 12-step groups. Also @AMGT commented on the SMART program on my 12-step post. If you have decent health insurance there are always therapists too. Realizing you need to confront your problems is hugely important. A number of us on this site have some experience with this and myself and probably others would be willing to offer more support.

I was trying to think of that and couldnt. Good suggestion

Thanks for that! I had no idea such things existed

alcoholism is one of the loneliest things you can ever feel. and those meetings you talk about, are just for talking about your alcoholism not whatever else might be going on. I've suggested this before just because it might be of some help. go out on a Sunday morning when all them Texans are in church and get your groceries, go to a park, go to a coffee shop.... try to find a place where there's some people. be open to new community.

there is a place in every town that people gather for morning coffee

even though the coffee may be terrible....lol.

Most of the time people are just venting and other people listen and the younger members make a comment. The older ones just let you vent. They know you should of called your sponsor... airing your feelings and situations in there is a no no. Getting unskilled advice in there is a no no. Anonymity is a part of the program that younger members never pay attention to. Always refer to the third party when making a statement. Talk to a sponsor and never open up about your problems to the group. A lot of them are there to get a paper signed and could care less about you and your problems. Don't ever ask an idiot for advice.

If you want to be an alcoholic, drink. It is easy.
Stopping? Not so easy. And you'll discover too late, no one is going to stop for you. And you won't wish you were an alcoholic anymore, ever. But it will be too late.
Have fun. See you at meetings.

Maybe there will come a time this site has chat rooms, and maybe one of the chat rooms will be a support group. Atheists and agnostics are welcome, and often the majority, at Unitarian Universalist churches

@Manimshut yah. I didn't know we could do that

Not me, but my ex wife complained for years that I left instead of dying. She said widows get sympathy and support, but being divorced people called her a complainer. I am not one to share feelings, so I can't relate. Maybe autism has its advantages?

There are other ways to meet people besides trying to be a recovering addict.

d_day Level 7 Feb 9, 2018

I am not Wicca but it is my understanding that there is a quite large and active Wicca community, even in Texas. That might be a fun experience, and at least it is Earth-based.

There are only 2 things I miss about being in a church, the music and the sense of community. It's hard to build real connections with people, especially if you are changing later in life. Between work and adulting, when are you supposed to meet people with common interests? Lol

Thanks for that. I seemed to have offended some people by my use of alcoholism, but it was really just an example. You picked up on what I was really getting at.

@AuntieMame I used a website call meet up to find other people with similar interests locally. Maybe that is a place to start?

I suppose that's one reason people attend church..to find community.
But you might find comfort in forums such as this one.
Other people join groups for hiking, sewing, birding, kayaking, photography, reading, etc., for social support.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22341
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.