Agnostic.com

36 12

Where does morality come from?

Darwin believed that morality was natural. Not societal or religiously taught. Rather, it is a product of survival and evolution. Do you agree with his conclusion? Or, do you think morality comes from societal standards?

Per Wiki, "Charles Darwin defends a naturalist approach to morality. In The Descent of Man, he argues that moral behaviour has outgrown from animal tendency for empathy through evolution of morality. By comparing human and animal behavior through a naturalist approach, he concludes that moral sense is based on the species' sociability, notably altruism...In Darwin's view, empathy lays as the foundation for our actions, as opposed to selfishness."

silvereyes 8 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Every trait we have was created either directly or indirectly by evolution. As far as I can see, there are no other influences.

skado Level 9 Feb 9, 2018

I hate people tying out dogs. I usually wind up watering them and feeding them. They leave they out on a leash without perparing them a nice home. My ex husband catches feral cats for ASPCA. He takes them to them to get them fixed and when ready, He returns them to where they live.I hate to see animals all greased up from oild breaks in the water. If I lived coloser to the ocean I would help. You know in 2050, Scientists says the total water will be covered with plastic. I watched a documentary and I could not believe the pollution in the oceans.

Good question with uncomfortable ramifications. I totally agree with Darwin. The problem I see is that too often we humans think morality is only about what affects us and/or our society. I think this ignores the long range impact on the life support system upon which all life is dependent. That ultimately concerns future generations.

I recently read a book that discusses this issue but gets more and more complicated. It’s not a simple idea. Early on I discovered that along with intelligence comes a kind of human arrogance that says we are the most important species. I just got into a debate on the Humanist site with a guy that said no but everything else he said, said yes (“we are the most important species to saving the planet, people are more important than dirt&rdquo😉

The natural morality issue has been a big concern of mine and I find it often puts me at odds with others. Victoria asked a question: ”People who think about leaving religion but don't are more likely to feel depressed and hopeless”. Looking at the link I spotted another study: Now I know why I am often at odds with others and where that leaves me. [psypost.org]

Thanks Victoria but I guess it’s better to know than to wonder.

@silvereyes This has opened a big issue with me and I have been dealing with it for years. Almost all of the women I meet are the short-term thinking type. They go along with the usual liberal causes, high immigration, lot of "good' causes, the usual 'feel good' things. People like me who question everything and look to true sustainable solutions are not popular. It's like having a religion. Don't question peoples beliefs and especially don't use logic.

I hate to keep bringing up my late partner but she felt just as strongly as I. I watched as how her personality got people to her way of thinking so it's not the idea but the packaging and deliverer. The usual messenger versus message issue. I also took solace in finding a kindred spirit. They seem in short supply these days.

@silvereyes No it is the same everywhere. Remember, I live on an island. I liken it to the questions we often get here about going out with a religious person. It would turn out difficult for both involved. I cannot change nor do I want to because it would be giving up on a core belief that has evolved over a long time. I cannot be something I am not.

Besides there are few other places with such an eclectic and progressive attitude as here.

@silvereyes Interesting, yes there is too much a tendency to fall into the trap of mob rule. I heard there was a lot of damage after the Superbowl. It came from the winners celebrating. I have seen this happen time and time again. The recent article on the 50th anniversary of My-Lai showed just how deadly this can be (if you don't know of this I can attach a link).

My buddy, Jill and I don't see eye to eye on many things (her big problem is that she and Parvin were best friends so when she debates me she knows she debating Parvin). However, she has mellowed in her age (she is 60) and we just laugh it off. Her husband is probably like yours. He doesn't want to get into it. We go for a walk and he walks ahead so as to not hear us debating. It has actually turned into a fun game. LOL.

I think I have to go along with Charles Darwin on this. The comments on this post are WONderful!!

I think I found your family. Boy are are you guys (gals) cute [salishsea.org]
scroll down

@JackPedigo LMAO!! Yes, I have a real affinity for otters.

@silverotter11 Maybe you were one in a past life (if you believe in that sort of thing).

@JackPedigo I don't know if I believe in it or not. There is some very strange knowing out there. Ya know, things you just KNOW. I really do not even know how to explain what I mean. oh well otterly unimportant.

Read the bonobo and the atheist

the powers that be force so called social constructs on us in order to control us.

Morality is survival, that’s why it is dictated by the herd— and skirted by those with the resources to buck the trend as needed.

that's ethics [ necessary for the survival of the species ] . morals are imposed for less noble reasons

I disagree. There are many “moral” unethical people. Ethics are the emoting intent. @markdevenish

Humans are natural. Humans are animals. This sense that what we do is above nature is literally giving us "supernatural powers". That is ego.

I feel (no scientific evidence) that it certainly not taught thru religion. Otherwise religions would be much more tolerant of others and their way of life, I.e. Christians who teach love say if you don't believe in Christ, you're going to hell. I've also found that my friends who have no money are much more generous than my friends and relatives who do actually have money. I think empathy is also taught thru experience.

This is short but answered a lot of questions I had...

Well I'd say it comes from societal standards initially but societal standards themselves I think are a product of evolution itself. That would be my take. A herd of deer or a flock of birds stick together and don't harm one another. This might be a primitive form of morality observed in other animals. I'm not an expert. Just my take.

I think a bit of all that fits in there.

I believe a form of The Golden Rule is what molded early humans to have empathy for others.
As our species became more intelligent, the more advanced our morality became, the more empathy we had for others.
Sure there will be the outliers, the sociopaths, and psychopaths and there always will be, hopefully, they'll stay in the minority.

I'm more inclined to agree with Richard Dawkins. I don't have time to summarize it, but basically in "The Selfish Gene" he postulates that altruism is human nature because it improves survivability for our genes. It's not conscious selfishness but innate programming hardwired into our genetic code.

JimG Level 8 Feb 9, 2018

I'm sure I heard this somewhere before but I think it evolved from our shared humanity. Those that help one another survive.

Complex versions of morality come from society. There's more gray area with technology. Like Napster, internet theft didn't feel like stealing to some people because nothing physical is involved and the person you take it from doesn't actually lose anything, but everyone feels a warm feeling when they do something good and it's as mystical as when your pet cat brings you a "present"(aka dead mice) it's just social programming to make us better suited as a species.

More Altruism and Empathy means less infighting within a species. Less infighting means that species is more viable. If our genetic ancestors didn't have the level of empathy that they did, it's entirely possible that this planet would be ruled by cockroaches, or whatever the next most viable species is.

Nurture and nature

I just don't know😉

Geese may stick together, but humans will kill even when together or mostly alone. We are at the top of the evolutionary tree and I think I remember being taught that was why. We were the best killers.

That’s not how evolution works, it’s not linear. We beat out our predecessors, not every other species, colossal squids for instance do just fine in their niche.

Humans kill for pleasure/out of boredom but even this is nawful t unique to primates. Seals bite the heads off fish and practice sex with them, etc.

Of course it is all nature...

Nah, you get most of it through there but not all. Equality is not born of nature, but nurture. It’s NICE to think you have that mobility, that you Shelter the weak. If it was live or die, base nature is to push to live and nice things go away to accommodate.

I believe it is innate, watching young animals or children at play we can witness a whole range of behaviour. One kid comforting another and so forth. I think this is the beginning.

Morality by definition is your code of ehics. knowing what is right and what is wrong. Morality is learned from our parents, those close to us, the schools attended, the social events. It is your community environment's methodology.

I agree and also think it's fluid.
E.g. so popular for some to espouse poly these days but in reality, say progeny results from those the resources in this age spread so thin statistically (IMO) those "get" not likely to thrive and the chances rise they will be in the "slave class" vs the one given all the chances more likely to succeed. Thus a form of "darwinism" IMHO

I believe "morality" is in part a facet of survival, just some back in the day decided to write theirs down and call it "god given" because some people too stupid to not be feral creatures I guess.

Those that have also taken themselves out of the gene pool likely to find themselves alone at the end of life one way or another.

/stream of consciousness post that may be disjointed

It seems to me that survival of a species depends upon grouping together and working as a unit. Those individuals that won't work together die. Is the living organism the honey bee or is it the hive? Is the living organism the sheep or the flock? Vines send out "leaders"; not every branch is chosen to be a leader. Our morality depends upon what we have found promotes survival of our tribe.

Frans de Waal has done wonderful research on this. But assigning one origin for something so complex and that took so long to "evolve" sounds... too convenient.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22470
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.