Agnostic.com

8 0

Recent Converts

This question is for those who were indoctrinated into a religion at any age. When did you convert away from religion? Which religion was it? Also, do you have wavering thoughts from the indoctrination or are you steadfast in your atheism?

ashortbeauty 8 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I actually tried to be religious, but it just didn't take. Irrationality and illogic far outweigh the benefits.

I just want the truth. I don’t care where it comes from. James

Leon Level 5 Feb 19, 2018

It’s not that any of us don’t want to believe in what we reloigion were brought up in, we simply want the truth. James

Leon Level 5 Feb 13, 2018

Interesting question. I being brought up in Ireland was a RC. Since I retired and had time to read Richard Dawkins and Company, I really feel free. I have now started my own research into other aspects ie Ancient Rome and all the lovely people that inhabited that place (like modern day politicians, the lowest of the low in most cases). Wavering thoughts? Certainly not, I have a science background so understanding a lot of what I read is easily digested. James

Leon Level 5 Feb 11, 2018

I was baptised a Catholic but couldn't rationalise religion as soon as I could think for myself. I was about 8 or 9 and was thinking this doesn't make sense, that feeling never changed and I've never believed in god(s) although have gone thru the motions for various reasons at various times. I guess I truly cleared the decks after 9/11, if I had any doubts before that I didn't after. From that I've just become a bit more vocal and resistant to the easy cultural habit of acceptance in the divine. I rarely miss a chance to challenge religion in all it's forms and I really am way more settled with myself than I've ever been.

I like that you mentioned being settled with yourself. For me, I did believe wholeheartedly, so breaking those beliefs and traditions has been a struggle.

I left mine a couple of years ago and will never go back.

I was brought up Jewish and wanted to become a Cantor when I graduated high school, only to discover that my Hebrew was not up to par. I remained religious for many years, attending temple and celebrating the Jewish holidays as a "Conservative (middle of the road) Jew."

During a Friday evening service, the Rabbi was preaching about Jonah and the large fish. When he finished the Torah verse, he started his sermon with "We know this is a true story..." Now I was sitting in the back of the sanctuary and was thinking out loud - too loud.
"No it's not!"

I had 40 sets of eyes staring at me and had to finish.
"It is physically impossible for a person to live in a fish's stomach. It's a good story and the meaning is important, but it is not true."

I left the temple at that time, unsure of the religious affiliation. I joined a Unitarian church in Denver where I met Humanists and agnostics for the first time and discovered that they thought like me. After a long discussion with the assistant minister, I came to the conclusion that I no longer believed and that I was a Humanist atheist. that was over 30 years ago and I am still going strong.

I accepted religion in my early 20s. Rejecting it took time and the final split is fairly recent, but now I can say that I am true to myself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22505
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.