Agnostic.com

10 3

Are atheist thinking wrong in their idea to tax the churches?

I would like to thank Silvereyes' poll for making me think of this.

Taxing churches is the wrong approach it will never fly the deluded have to much power but, there is another way to correct this financial discrimination. Years ago I dated a women from Finland who had a sister who was an atheist. At that time, most Finns were Lutheran so, to support the church the government collected a 1% church tax. Now if you declared yourself to be an atheist by signing a document you were granted a waiver on this tax. Why would this not work in the US? The failure of the churches to pay their fair share means that atheists and agnostics are paying the churches' share, this is not how democracies are supposed to work it is an injustice. By declaring that you are an atheist on your tax form you should be able to pay a lower tax rate than your religious neighbours.

HeathenFarmer 8 Oct 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

America is not a democracy. Never was. The founding fathers feared democracy. Democracy is only one step away from anarchy.

America is a Republic. "...and to the Republic, for which it stands."

I think this tax paying by the individual would be fantastic here in the USA. People would actually have to decide between their apathetic religious beliefs and how much they hate to pay taxes. I think even a 1% tax on churchgoers would suddenly see the country turn at least 25% atheist overnight. Bring it on!

Churches were made tax exempt because they were eschew political platforms from the pulpit which the Evangelicals and Catholics have not done and therefore they should be taxed. To be fair they have the right of free speech and with that right is the obligation to pay their fair share of taxes. In addition those who have made billions of $ have the obligation to pay their fair share of taxes without the loopholes they are afforded. Every person has the right to an adequate living experience i.e. enough food ,shelter,health,free expression under the law. To deny any of these is criminal.

I don't think the idea is wrong on taxing churches. I think the approach is wrong. If you want someone to buy your argument you don't debate them on it you sell it to them. They see how it benefits them.

SamL Level 7 Oct 28, 2017

Very true, that is why I am approaching the idea from the idea of giving non-believers a tax break to make up for the deductions for individual or business donations to churches and they affiliated organizations.

tax'em

I definitely think that they should pay property taxes (they don't have to in my state). I also think that they should also have to file money reports like all of our non-profit companies have to. If all of those things don't show how they are working then I say they should pay taxes.

IIRC it was Cervantes who came up with the idea of taxing church estates. That got him in a whole heap of trouble. And IMHO i's not taxing churches that is the issue; it's the fact that donations to them are tax deductible by the donors. So the government is, in fact, creating what are called "tax expenditures" (money goes from person A to Church B, money get's deducted from A's taxable income, everyone else has to make up the difference) which fund churches.

Glad to see someone with the light on.

How many 'good Christians' would lie on their tax forms to get out paying that extra 1%?
A lot I bet.

Lying on a tax form holds a penalty in Law does it not?

If they want to claim donations to a church or any affiliated organization have they not already answered that question?

Yes. Religion has become more of a business and some church leaders draw millions in salaries and benefits.

Also, it is specifically written into the tax code that religions are only tax exempt if they stay our of politics.. If churches want a voice in government they shoudl help support that government. We shoudl at least be taxing those churches that have intruded into politics!

In the US, collecting a church tax would violate our separation between state and church. Our gov has no business supporting churches, either by keeping them tax exempt or collecting taxes for them. Let them stand on their own, hopefully causing many of them to fail. There are four categories of tax exemption in the US. Health, education, welfare, and religion. The first three file a 990 form with the government, which means that they have to declare their income and for what it is used. Religions do not file and their tax exempt profits are not recorded. We can only estimate their incredible wealth. Not only do they accept donations, as well as selling holy oil, holy water, DVD's, and books, but they own vast amounts of land. That land is bought, sold, rented out, and used for profit making businesses, without paying a dime in taxes. In addition, the churches run other profit making businesses which they categorize under religious exemption. They also will operate schools, soup kitchens, and health facilities, filing under religion, instead of education, welfare, or health, enabling them to cheat the tax payer. We are all subsidizing religious organizations, which violates our separation between state and church.

It is the other way round! If we tax churches then the government and churches become the SAME THING! The REASON we don't tax churches is because they are different things!

Taxing the churches does not make the gov and the church the same thing. First, the church should account for its earnings just like the other tax exempt organizations. Secondly, If a profit is made and used for anything but charitable purposes, then that money needs to be taxed, just like any other organization. The church has no right to effect our gov or our pockets, but the gov has a right to monitor them in order to preserve our separation. Remember also, in the US you can believe in human sacrifice, but you can't practice it. The church does not get a free pass because it is religion.

I am not proposing the taxing of churches but rather reducing the tax burden on non-believers. The point is to correct the constitutional discrimination against non-believers who are gaining nothing by the existence of the exemption.

He is either proposing a) a tax exemption for non-believers or b) taxing the individuals that go to church, not the churches themselves. I like it!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2255
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.