Agnostic.com

19 1

Rituals. You don’t have to believe in god or practice a religion to have rituals that add to the structure of your life. What are some of yours?

Darkembrace85 3 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lost my oldest son in 2002.I speak with him almost everyday unless he is busy.and when I get in my car,I will kiss my thumb,put it on my heart and say"'see me where im going wyatt....and back again.".....pretty sure thats a ritual

Relatively recent gym. Hopefully near future is meditation.

kng01 Level 5 Mar 31, 2018

I have two styles of signatures. My second signature I use for purchases to denote to myself this is something I bought. The original is for documents, contracts, or signing anything that has nothing to do with money.

Running. And sometimes meditation. The peace pagoda a few times a year. When I was younger I felt I was more ritualistic watching the stars and sunsets going into the woods. Now that I live in a city kinda went away from that

Coffee!!!

But I also think a big one is my drive to work. Silent driving is real big "zen" time for me. It's a good time to declutter my mind and organize my thoughts for the day.

My morning ritual: pee, feed the cat, make coffee on my bedside table, journal for an hour, then get up and start my day. You can call it a routine, but to me, it's a ritual. There's something almost spiritual about it.

I don't miss many days, but when l do (like when I wake up with a migraine), l know it, both in my head and my heart.

And on the days l don't feel like it? Those are the days I have the biggest epiphanies.

One word: coffee

Eating, paying bills, feeding my pets.

I have routines, but no rituals.

Kids and my birthdays we watch the sunrise, also on 1st and last days of the year, New Years Eve we sleep on the beach,

I used to get up and pray, "Lord, make me an instrument of your peace..." Now I spend time examining how things went and how I can make the world a better place. Then I exercise, spend time with the pup, listen to music that makes me happy, and go to work.

They’re actually behavior sets.
For example, at th end of the day I empty my hw boa out, log them in, collect them and put them in my bag.

We (a UU Fellowship) have a couple of rituals I like. One is the Water Communion we have each fall, which involves bringing water from places we have been, pouring the water into the bowl, and then at the end of the ritual, take back the mixed water. The idea is to recognize that we are all connected with everything.

My Mohawk grandfather used to throw his nail and hair clippings outside among the weeds, so as a kid I learned to do the same. It was not until much later I found out why. It was an offering to the Jogahoh (Haudenosaunee gnome-like people). If you do not make an offering to them they will prank you (hide things you are looking for, trip you, knock things down, make noise at night so you can't sleep, whisper in the ear of a friend that you are not to be trusted, things like that).

I, of course, do not believe such things. Instead, I toss my clippings into the yard to recycle the nutrients back to the environment.

There is a difference between ritual and regulation. I am self employed and have been most of my life. To do that effectively one must set certain regulations on their lives and adhere to them until conditions change. That means, I set a time to get up in the morning so I can do my morning personal stuff and get to the shop before my employees to open the doors and make sure everything is ready for the day. There is a specific time set for taking lunch. In the evening, after everyone is gone and I'm satisfied all is ready for the following day, I can go home. None of that is ritual, though it could be looked upon as such, but that would be an error.

I have a habit of putting things back where they came from when I finish using them, but that too cannot be considered ritual, though some might wrongly say it is.

So, what the hell is the meaning of the word 'ritual'? A ritual is a religious or solemn ceremony consisting of a series of actions performed according to a prescribed order.

An example would be the rituals of worship, the prescribed order of performing a ceremony, especially one characteristic of a particular religion or church.

Other words (synonyms) that can be used for the same meaning are things like ceremony, rite, ceremonial, observance, service, sacrament, liturgy, worship, act, practice, custom, tradition, convention, formality, procedure, and protocol. I'm sure there must be others.

I realize that there are folks who relate this word 'ritual' to anything of a repetitive nature, but in my view it is a wrong usage. The word is more properly associated with anything like an elaborate but well regulated and necessarily repetitive activity.

Don't get me wrong here. I accept the common usage, it just grates on my delicate linguistic nerve when I hear it used. I have even used it myself in my writing a couple of times, but I haven't made a ritual out of it. 🙂

I didn't know rituals were needed. Don't think I have any.

Partnered dancing is my ritual... been around since campfire on the cave got somebody moving and someone of opposing sex decided to join in.

Morning ritual doesn't vary much. Get up, turn on coffee pot while walking to the bathroom, get dressed, take the dog out, come back, have coffee. Rinse, and repeat.
The rest of the day is a crapshoot.

Let me start by saying some of these are a work in progres and I'm trying to nail them down. Meditate twice every day in the morning to set the stage and before bed to process the day. In the morning make a list of what the day entails and what you want to get done. Exercise. Throughout the day take note of the positive and be grateful for those things. Here's a link to some things I found value in. [dailystoic.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22551
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.