Agnostic.com

9 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Actually, nearly everything it says, it says the opposite of, as well...

Most Christians actually realize on some level that literally claiming the Bible is 100% correct (and by extension that your interpretation thereof is the only correct one) is unsupportable and the very definition of "asshat". That is why, depending on who you consult, evangelicals only represent somewhere between 17 and 30% of self-identified Christianity (the worldwide proportion is toward the lower end of that range). And that is even a somewhat bigger tent than strident fundamentalists.

Evangelical Christianity has become more polarized along with the rest of society, at least in the US. Prior to the 1970s, Christianity Today -- founded, mind you, by Billy Graham himself -- had articles seriously questioning when fetuses acquired humanity and human rights. "Life begins at conception" is, as one essay famously pointed out, "the doctrine younger than a MacDonald's Happy Meal". It, and a lot of other Shibboleths guys like this spout, were created to turn evangelicalism into a political movement obsessed with temporal power. Take it from someone who grew up in the pre-1970s evangelical world: there was a time when even evangelicals had some epistemological humility and basic human decency and were more sincerely spiritual-minded, however misguided that was.

@TheMiddleWay That's over 75% of Americans, not Christians.

But this is 'Murica, where the percentage of Biblical literalists is far higher than in the rest of the developed world.

Although I do wonder if the question was literally posed that way ("Do you believe the Bible is the actual word of God, to be taken literally word for word?" ) if many respondents just said yes because in the abstract they would say yes to that but don't really believe that in any practical way. It's one of those questions where many people don't want to actually say it's bullshit, even if they think it is.

The more interesting thing here to me is that about 25% of Americans believe the Bible is literally God's word, which means that about 75% would have to be liberal Christians or "nones" (unaffiliated religious or areligious including atheists). That seems about right. On a worldwide basis 17% of Christians are evangelicals, and that figure should be higher in the US.

The last Pew survey I can find pegs evangelicals at 26.4% of the US population as of 2004; that has doubtless eroded a bit since. That same study says Catholics and Protestants together make up 38% of the populace. It's not clear whether evangelicals are included within Protestants, but since that study ways 16% of the population are Protestants and 26.4% are evangelicals, I guess not; in that study "Protestant" must mean "non-evangelical Protestants". In other words about two-thirds of protestants in the US were evangelicals. That's a little higher than I'd have thought, but it would explain a great deal.

If I'm reading the 2004 Pew numbers right, about two-thirds of Americans were then some flavor of Christian, a bit less than half were non-Catholic, and about two-thirds of those were evangelicals -- a rough proxy for fundamentalist / literalist / inerrantist / authoritarian types. That translates to 2/3 of one half or about 33% evangelical, which now apparently has degraded quite a bit if only 25% of the populace are literalist believers as of 2017. That's a pretty sharp drop in 13 years. No wonder they're running scared.

@TheMiddleWay I said 75% would inherently be some combination of liberal believers or Nones. Not that they'd all be Nones.

Regarding the worldwide numbers I've looked those up a couple of times and had them fixed in my brain but it's been quite awhile since I actually dug them up. I recall the figure of 17% of Christians are evangelicals on a worldwide basis. I'll hunt around and see if that has changed.

Edit: Okay this is another case where Pew does this weird thing of separating evangelicals from Protestants, as if they were not Protestants. Maybe it's an effort to lump conservative Catholics under that same umbrella. Also, oddly, they don't include pentecostals / charismatics under the "evangelical" label, whereas I would consider them a subset of evangelicalism. Anyway ... a 2011 Pew Forum study gave a figure of 13.1% evangelical (~285.5 million) on a worldwide basis, but as I said that leaves out some 584 million pentecostals charismatics. I infer from the wording of the study that there's overlap between the two groups, some people identify as e.g. charismatic and evangelical.

Sebastian Fath of CNRS, a French organization studying evangelicalism, claims there are 630 million evangelicals in the world as of 2017, including the charismatics. Operation World puts the number at 550 million.

Obviously these groups slice and dice things a bit differently. More here:

[en.wikipedia.org]

That was painful to watch.

You used the word, "think"....silly poster!

What a deeply ignorant man....the sort of ignorance only those who confine all their reading to either the Bible or the Koran can confer themselves with. Ignorant and proud of the fact.....!

If he is on about the the King James Version they found the rough copy with all the notes in one of the English libraries

He proclaims, "show me one of them", referring to mistakes in the bible. I'll share the verse of the bible that first made me question my religion at the age of 15. Psalms 82:1 "God has taken his place in divine council, amongst the GODS, he holds judgement". Now, if he is the only God, as the bible proclaims, why must he consult with other gods to make judgement on others? Is he self-conscious about his own opinions? There is a commandment written that states you should not take any God before him, a hell banishing offense. This was the big wake up call for me that the bible is full of contradictions.

@Donotbelieve good point! The bible is filled with contradictions. Written by less mentally evolved humans.

@Donotbelieve They were certainly more gullible 2000 years ago. A cave dweller came up with a story and convinced the masses that it was true. All it takes is the endorsement of one ruler, however big or small, to legitimize a claim

What the idiot needs to understand is exactly what it means to have copies of something done by hand. Once that sinks in he can see how his claim is totally impossible. Maybe he should watch some Bart Erhman videos on You Tube.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:226425
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.