Agnostic.com

28 7

Funeral without religion?

I am wondering how to go about making sure there is no religion at my own funeral. I recently attended a service where it was made very clear that the deceased did NOT want any religious mumbo jumbo at his funeral. The family knew it, and fully agreed to it, but one of the kids was swayed (by his crazy and manipulative mother) to include bible passages, etc., at the end. I almost got up and walked out. I don't know what made me stay. I guess the grief rendered me frozen. Funerals are for the living, so they say, but I want to be sure my wishes are respected. Could my kids be swayed to change plans if they are not in a good place to make decisions? I hope not, but I don't know. I know you can't control these types of things by putting it in a will. It can't be enforced, legally. At least, that's what a lawyer friend told me. So, what to do?

Indubitably 7 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know if there is anything you can do. You can make your wishes known, & maybe have someone that you trust speak & stress your position, but if a relative feels that they "just have to" go the religion route, it would be tough to shut them down without causing an incident, which probably isn't either worth it, or what any of the mourners would want. You can only hope for the best, &, if by chance it does come about, be secure in the knowledge that you will have not a single inkling of its occurrence!!!

Funerals are for the living. What should you care? You're either in oblivion or grappling with an afterlife that nobody can or should anticipate. I figure you've got more on your plate than dealing with what your friends and relatives want to do to honor your remains. But if this genuinely bothers you, then as others have stated, a will is the most binding thing you can create to make your wishes known and pick your executor carefully.

I'm curious how "it was made very clear that the deceased did NOT want any religious mumbo jumbo". Maybe a sign at the door: "No fairy tales beyond this point!"

I discussed it with the children. Two of them are atheist, the other graduated with a degree in religious studies, but all three agreed to honor their dad's wishes. All three knew he would not want religion, and would want it to be lighthearted. One of his sons actually had the entire group laughing with some funny stories of the past. It was a shocker at the end when the other son broke out the bible verses. It ended on a downer. I guess I should have made that sign!

@Indubitably I see. But as far as general people talking or greeting the bereaved personally, maybe everyone at mine could wear a jesus buster button and 90% of the attendees wouldn't mention being in a better place now, or being called home, etc.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22809
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.