Agnostic.com

49 13

Have you ever stopped reading a book, listening to a song, or watching a show because it added religion into the mix?

As I read informational books, sometimes authors like to throw religion in where it doesn't belong. Recently, I was reading a book about Blue Zones... where people are happiest. I stopped reading when I got to a certain bit of advice...

People may be happiest when they go to church, but I didn't like this advice that said if you don't go to church, you should try out different places of worship. This bothered me, as I don't believe it is necessarily the religion that is helping people. It's the community. I think you could get the same benefit in places other than church.

It's not just this book. I was disappointed in one copy of the Tao te Ching that my husband gave me. He didn't know it when he bought it... but for some reason, the author decided to add some Jesus and church stuff in the beginning of the book. It absolutely did not belong in that book-- as it is unrelated to the original content. That book got returned and I found a different translation. I was incredibly irritated, because anyone reading it for the first time would probably be mislead into thinking there was a relationship between the Tao and Christianity.

Have you experienced this in books, movies, music-- in a way that caused you to totally disregard the work?

silvereyes 8 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

49 comments (51 - 49)

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22821
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.