Agnostic.com

17 3

Question for the non-religious, non-spirual people

My parents would have described themselves as agnostic, but effectively they were atheists and of much the same view, but happy to describe my view as atheist. I wonder if my parents were religious would I be likely to be religious too.

• 31 votes
  • 25 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 0 votes
OrmRich 4 Oct 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

At 15, my mother told me I would find out about God on my own.

My parents were over the top Pentacostals. For bedtime stories, they would read us sanitized stories from the Illustrated Children's Bible. We went to church 3 time a week. Tv shows like "Bewitched" were banned from the house. Mom would subject us at the dinner table (believe it or not) to readings from the likes of Pat Robertson, James Dobson, David Wilkerson and other rapture-obsessed wack jobs. Naturally my older brother declared his atheism at age 10, which was not well received (understatement of the year) and set the stage for a lot of rather animated debates in our household. I credit my brother (3 yrs older) with instilling critical thinking skills in me that by my late teens allowed me to overcome the think layers of fear tactic indoctrination and to dump the utter bullshit. Dad, at nearly 80, is still quite worried for my soul. It is sadly pathetic. Curiously, his own father was an atheist. Not sure what drove Dad to embrace such a crazy church.

My parents were soulless alcoholics and TV junkies that put me in every church program they could and took me to church as early as they could. To Saddleback Church btw, with Rick Warren, from when it was just a tent in a parking lot.
You know his son killed himself.

My parents were of modest means. High school educated and socially awkward, they attended a conservative christian church at least four times a week. I was taken to church often. I learned to sing . I was kicked out of Sunday school twice for asking logical questions. I never understood how anyone can believe the stories.I never did.

Raised Catholic. So of course, that meant my father was an alcoholic pedophile, which I believe is a requirement of the church...

We were raised in a Catholic home. My dad was a convert (they say converts are the worse) and there were 7 of us. 4 of us were sent to Parochial schools even thought it was a burden on my family. Finally we moved to an area of no Catholic schools and some of the proselytizing stopped. We did not know my mother's belief but when my dad died she stopped attending regular mass. My parents were good (we were definitely a free-range family) and we never saw them as hypocrites. Now there is one sister who is Jahova's Witness and everyone else non-believers or atheists.

I was raised by two Pentecostals, a lapsed Lutheran turned ethical humanist, and an atheist. And I’m still sick

I was raised in the family of a minister of the relevant religion. Early indoctrination, and then early rejection.

I will expand on being raised in a non-religious family and qualify that my parents were heathens ( gamblers, drinkers, killed time with friends playing card games, good-time people, these were the late 50s, 60s and a great economy). I am even more of a heathen because I have a consciousness of Science and no religion whatsoever.

As I gained education which confirmed some questions that I myself had, I found that religion failed to be important . I looked at history and viewed the hate,death and dissension it caused and could not justify it as a way to a god. Once passed this, I began to question the idea of god and found that science provided a better answer than a book of myths. I found that common sense and logic for me dissuaded the existence of a god. Since becoming an atheist, I have found peace in my being and have enjoyed the pleasures of life as much as possible.

I was baptized and stuff at like, 7 years old. Both of my parents were religious. Once I was a teenager we just quit going to church. And moving from a red to a blue state I think really shaped me into eventually not believing anymore and being more open than how southern conservatives are (I lived in AL for 10 years then moved to WA where I've lived for 11 years now).

My parents believe in God but didn't really push it on me. They did take me to church with them but they didn't really go all that often.

Personally raised with only one parent being religious and then getting away from it after a number of year and my other parent not into religion at all, I think it depends on the individual on how it affected them as a child and are they open to not following dogma. Guess I thought through the lies, the fallacies, the deception & so much more where it was a given that I didn't want to be brainwashed like other people.

My mother was an atheist my father was raised with religion and paid only enough attention to it to keep my paternal grandmother happy at the time I was born, he later became an agnostic and finally an atheist after I told him that I was. My extended family aunts, uncles and cousin where all religious and many still are. What made things very complicated is that my fathers business partner and brother was religious and like many farm families the whole of both families spent a lot of time working, playing and socializing together.

I voted non-religious, never discussed.
I've heard the two major factors in determining someone's religion is where they were born and what their parents believe.
Chances are if you were born in a Muslim populated country like Iraq you would be Muslim if you were born in a predominantly Christian populated country like the US you would be Christian.

Totally agree. We are very much a product of our environment, particularly from our formative years. My parents were religious and so that's what I thought I was supposed to be and I came to 'believe' what was taught in their church because that's what I knew,,, and understood that any other religious belief was wrong and the practitioners were going to hell. Only when I grew older and became aware that others were in the same boat-- though with different parents, different religions -- did I come realize the folly of it all.

I was raised in a boarding school where we had to go to church everyday for ten years. I also sang in the choir so I had A LOT of church growing up. If you include all of the singing, that is everyday (seven days a week), twice a day (so two hours in total) for ten years - just how FU is that?? Funnily enough both of my parents are not super religious, though my grandfather was a pastor in the UK. So I'm now 44 and have only just really escaped religion in the past couple of years after being married to a zealot for all of my 30's. So I think it's the individuals choice and not just for family or education reasons that people become and stay religious.

Wow! That's an enormous amount of brainwashing you endured.
Glad to see you made it out. 🙂

My sister asked me this question last night. She wondered if she would be an atheist if I had not influenced her. Both my parents and my two sisters became atheists after I did. My response was that even if she didn't have the education and information that I brought into the house, she would have at least been non religious.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2292
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.