Agnostic.com

8 2

Have any of you read the book "WHAT THE BLEEP DO WE KNOW!?" I don't know why, but after many years I pulled this book off the shelf. I remembered the work that Dr. Masaru Emoto had conducted in an experiment on water.

He used a micro scope too photograph water crystals that had not had outside stimuli. He used polluted water, and spring water. The spring water had a beautiful crystal where the polluted water had a ugly crystal.

He used music from Beethoven to heavy metal, and saw that the music clearly affected the shape of the water crystal. He then used prayer, and meditation, and noticed it also affected the shape of the water crystal.

Next he wrote on paper notes and attached them to he water containers. The water that had the notes "Thank You", and "The Chi of Love" had beautiful crystals. The water with the note "You Make me sick, I Will Kill You" had an ugly and malformed crystal.

The conclusion they made from the Dr's work was that we are 70% to 90% water depending on who you read, so how does negative thinking, and words affect us?

I am curious if any of you have read this and thought about it, and if you have any conclusions or thoughts.

I believe that negative thinking, and words do affect the human body, and maybe many diseases are a result of our thoughts, and maybe even other's thoughts can affect us, either for good or bad.

Leutrelle 7 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I watched the movie. I remember thinking that it was a bad test. A beautiful crystal is subjective. Lots of room for cherry picking there. IF thoughts / prayers / negativity were having an effect on the crystal formation then we wouldn't expect that good thoughs make the crystal "prettier" anyways. And anyone who believes enough in this to run a test to that extent is very likely to be delusional or have a hidden agenda.

The conclusion was the Dr's work was a fraud.

i think it deserves more investigation re thoughts affecting others

I found that book interesting, but the experiments incomplete and highly subjective, hence psudeoscience and not hard science.

"Dean Radin has something of a reputation for collecting data first, then looking at it and deciding what sort of patterns to look for, according to whatever conclusion he hopes to reach. That's precisely the largest flaw in this particular experiment as well. Kizu was under no restrictions except his own personal whims to decide which pictures he should send back to Radin, and was also allowed to freely choose where in each tray to look for apexes with crystals that he deemed photogenic enough to include, both good and bad. I can't know this, not having been there; but my sense is that in each and every one of the 50 trays (assuming they were all frozen and photographed under similar conditions), I could have found at least one snowflake-looking crystal and at least one boring looking region of ice. Every step of this experiment required each participant to act in a purely subjective manner according to his or her personal preferences. Significantly, there is no mention made in the paper of whether the 100 website visitors had any foreknowledge of Emoto's belief that complex, crisp snowflake shapes are the ones he considers beautiful while rounded, less complex shapes are the ones he considers ugly; but it strains credibility to suggest that Radin's own visitors were completely impartial and unaware of Emoto's preferred outcome."

[skeptoid.com]

Thats why I thought I would share, and get other input. Your insights are very helpful. Thanks

I like his books and think his premise is true, but some say they can't replicate the results, so the experiments aren't valid.

Dunno, but it seems to be that way in real life, because of supposed double blind experiments where lab rats are randomly selected and after handlers are told those certain rats are super smart, those rats suddenly excelled in maze tests.

I watched the movie years ago but found it pretty underwhelming.

gearl Level 8 Feb 11, 2018

My therapist loaned me a copy of the movie.

I'm fully aware that our thoughts shape our reality, even if I'm not necessarily convinced that the photographs of water prove anything specific. I'd love to see it repeated and peer reviewed first.

That having been said, there is power in believing, whether your belief is in yourself or an "other." Learning to believe... It's weird. I don't just believe things, even when l know them, on an intellectual basis, to be true. Belief is more than knowing. And I've come to the conclusion that faith is important. But perhaps even more important is knowing what to put your faith in.

Choose wisely, my friends.

I have heard of it, just haven't had a chance to pick it up.
But thanks for reminding me.
I'll have to make a note of it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22987
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.