Agnostic.com

4 0

Secular Mental Health Services

I'm looking to start seeing a psychiatrist first of the year. My issue is being in the Bible belt, many so-calleds professionals still infuse the Bible with therapy. Any suggestions on ensuring so I pick doesn't do this? Also, like to hear others positive and negative experiences.

AlbaTaylor 4 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd call you local accreditation board to see if you cna get a list of local secular services.

Also, Angie's list has online reviews of doctors.

I have noticed that many therapists do try to insert their religious beliefs into counseling. The best ones don't because they understand how to help people without using a belief in god for a crutch.

It would be unprofessional for them to push any religion. If the do so, report them to their profession body.
Ask which religion, I believe there about 4200 to choose from at the moment. And at least four different one and only true gods!

Read their bios online if they have one. Sometimes that can give you a clue. However, when looking for a mental health professional, sometimes you have to go to several before you find the right fit. If you feel uncomfortable with the provider, then look for someone else. It took me a while to find a therapist I liked.

I am a mental health professional here in UK. It would be illegal to discuss religion in any consultation here. I hope you find support.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:230838
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.