Agnostic.com

13 2

A lot of people have mentioned reading in the posts, so let's get a discussion going. What is a book that impacted your mindset and why? For me, I really enjoyed Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis. It's the first book of the space trilogy, and it paints a really beautiful picture of mindfulness and embracing yourself without pretense.

Mkonnick 5 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Runelords, by David Farland. It's the first book of a fantasy series, but it totally altered my outlook on life. I outlined why in another post on this site:
[agnostic.com]

Scythe was awesome got me started thinking about what benevolent AI might look like.

Lauxa Level 5 Feb 14, 2018

"The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" by Julian Jaynes helped me see how the human perception of God might possibly be an evolutionary adaptation. Once I saw how such a thing might be possible, then I realized I had options other than belief.

skado Level 9 Feb 13, 2018

One hundred years of Solitude Gabriel Garcia Marquez, I loved it to pieces and thank you for reminding me it could be time to read again. I don't quite know how to pitch it - mainly its weird and enchanting.

This is going to sound stupid, but The Tommyknockers. I read it in detention when I was a freshman. Somehow through the buried spaceship and obsession I saw that everything was pointless, or at least it was part of that realization.

Stephen King is the shit lol

You guys are definitely adding to my reading list ????

For me, it was TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. I was young enough (12) to think life was always fair and that story really broke that for me.

The Unsettling of America by Wendell Berry. But I don't subscribe to the religious stuff.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and all consequent books in that series by Douglas Adams, a famous agnostic and part of the Monty Python gang. The books are clever and intensely funny. But the one book that shaped me most seriously was The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan. I read it in high school .It made me furious and hopeful at the same time. I had such hopes for living in the United States. Oh well, it is a work in progress!

Lol I love the Hitchhiker's Guide. My favorite part is the babelfish as proof of the non-existence of god.

I listened to an audiobook that was fantastic. It was on cassette tapes, it was probably early 90’s if this helps to identify the recording. I can’t find it anywhere now, it was amazing.

No one book, I have a Masters in Sociology and you can not be a Sociologist without a clear understanding of how religion is used to control the masses. Mind you there is power in the Universe but attempts to harnesses it to manipulate nations and individuals into compliance is the greatest scandal in human history!

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, robert pirsig.

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. It really made me think about our place in the universe. And definitely has parallels to the idea of a global economy.

godef Level 7 Feb 11, 2018

Hahaha! Thats awesome!

@jayneonacobb Yeah, you're reply wasn't there yet when I responded, not until mine was posted, so I was right on your heels.

Did you see the tv remake? I thought it was true to the source material.

@jayneonacobb I agree; some changes to modernize the story a bit in context to the times. I was curious how they depicted the Overlords world at the end, but they fluffed over that a bit, probably could not have done it justice if they tried.

Childhoods End, Arthur C. Clarke, when I was a teen. Now I enjoy the Eddas quite a bit.

Also one of my early favorites.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23110
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.