Agnostic.com

4 1

QUESTION Racist Bullying? Religious School In Texas Argues Courts Can't Intervene.

A religious school in Texas is essentially arguing that it does not have to follow laws because it is a religious institution.

Situation:
A black student was being bullied because of his race. The 3 students accused admitted to the bullying and got a 1 day suspension. The parents are suing the school in question.

How is this any different than the Sharia laws many Christians freak out about?

SteveB 7 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just one more reason on a whole heap of them to scorn religion. I went to parochial schools for 11 years, and it was there, I believe, that I learned that skin color was not something upon which one related to another human being. If kids of other ethnicities were nice to me, I was nice to them, period. Fortunately, I do not remember one instance of racial bias in those schools; not to say it never happened, but I never knew of any. Of course, my experience was in So Cal, not Texas. That said, I would not shed a single tear if all religious institutions faded away tomorrow. The predominant legal opinions expressed in the article seem to be that the school's position won't pass muster, I'll go with that.

@SteveB it's today's climate, the religionists will try to push whatever they think they may be able to get away with, and with a conservative majority SCOTUS, that, unfortunately, may be quite a lot.

I guess religious hospitals can argue that they don't have to save the life of a dying homosexual, transgender, drug-addicted, criminal, poor, Muslim, or atheist person. (I forget the chapter and verse--an epistle, I think--but I recall a specific Biblical injunction against devoting resources to helping the sinful.)

When I see "religious freedom" stuff like this I think about how I or someone like me could conceivably clap back by insisting on "freedom" to not serve some person or group who refuses to treat all persons with equal dignity and respect... Then I remember that I believe in treating all persons with dignity and respect...and I don't want to be a hypocrite that says "Don't do that" and then does that very thing... I don't want to be petty. I'd rather take the high road, lead by example. Sometimes I wish I weren't such a good two shoes. But it passes quickly.

For now at least, we are still governed by the Constitution, but Theocracy is slowly creeping in and if the bible replaces the Constitution as the law of the land, there will be no difference.

and conservative, evangelicals want to make biblical law the law of the land.

I'm from Texas and all I can say is that it's a beautiful state but the people and the politics are pathetic. Just look who we have- 2 Bushes, 1 Perry, and 1 Cruz. That's frightening!!

@SteveB You just have friends in Texas. You do not live here.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23138
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.