Agnostic.com

4 1

Why do smart people believe stupid things?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Neil deGrasse Tyson has the same thought process. He mentioned he works with highly educated astrophysicist who do indeed believe in God .he made a comment that it's not the ordinary person that we need to talk to, but it's the Highly Educated people like his fellow co-workers that we really need to have a conversation with. There are many scientists out there who are believers. It would be interesting to find out why.

Smart people can usually find ways to defend their beliefs. You would think that smart people would have a more rational aproach than someone who is not smart. But sometimes really intelligent people are raised by people who teach them things that don't make sence. As time goes on, they become more and more attached to these ideas and beliefs, making it hard for them to let go of them. In order to not deal with the pain that might come with losing faith or realizing they are wrong, they figure out ways to make it seem logical and rational.

I didn't watch the video, but I did read something about this once. It's interesting stuff.

You don't need intelligence to be a dumbass...

Ooow, this one is great but his other lectures are far more in depth, and I highly recomend his book "the believing brain" one of my favourite reads.

Dav87 Level 6 Feb 11, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23205
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.