Agnostic.com

12 2

Is " High noon " unamerican?

I was watching an old interview with John Wayne the other day and the interview was getting quite political. It was just after watergate and the right were definitely on the back foot but the duke stood his ground. " Well sure high noon is unamerican. You got that scene where the sheriff goes into the church (where for some reason all the men are on one side and the womensfolk on the other but lets just leave that for now). Then he says to everybody that the bad guys are coming and I need you men to get your guns and help me take them. Then all the men, in front of their wives, say no. That seems to me to be the very definition of unamerican. "

Well my fellow free thinkers from across pond, does he have a point?

Discuss

273kelvin 8 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's good to see these comments, and it's nice to know, I'm not alone in thinking that "The Douche" would've been a more suitable nickname.
"High Noon" was a great movie, and I have nothing against Gary Cooper, but if I prefer James Stewart to the other actors of the era.

JimG Level 8 Feb 14, 2018

All of Hollywood is racist, the portrayal of American Indians and completely misses the point that the west had many black cowboys. That said I love the music from westerns, Sergio Leone's spagetti westerns, Elmer Bernstein, etc. As to Duke Wayne, I enjoy Robin Williams' impersonation. Many do not realize Wayne was not nice to non-whites.

Then you have a film like " The Searchers " Admittedly not very complimentary to the native americans but showing Wayne to be as bad. The war had changed Ford and it shows in this film that he`s not the same guy that directed " Stagecoach " .

A lot of " The hell it is " from you guys and I get it it. The juxtaposition of the McCarthy witch hunt etc. Its just that the church scene sounds like a NRA wet dream.

The point of the story, Duke, is that it was a statement of what was going on at the time IN America.

It is only unamerican in the Hollywood sense.
Cooper should just run and get help.
And isn't Princess Grace Wayyyyyyy too young for him?

So was Boggie and Bacall.

@273kelvin Uh Yeah! And I've got "Do not forsake me, oh my darlin'" stuck in my head.

@phil21 This clip from 1969 might get the tune out but.... Oh and yes that is Roman Polanski

Go Carl Foreman. we need some Carl Forman's today to stand up to tRump and some are emerging...they need to be supported by regular folk. I like High Noon and have little use
for John Wayne and his macho bullshit.

IMO the man who shot Liberty Valance was THE defining western for America. The " print the myth " line at the end says it all.

Pondering on this one. It is the defining western in regards as how to the United States viewed the settling of the West. Hollywood had a terrible tradition of white North American =good; ever thing else -- asian, black, jew, native american, European with accents = bad. White hats, clean shaven is good, black hat, whiskers are bad.

@phil21 Still white hats. black hats. Now goodies have designer stubble, good teeth, casual clothing and no body hair. Baddies now smoke, mostly played by brits and are well dressed. There will be a crusty but benign overseer who will be played by Morgan Freeman.

I call it a defining western because it is a lie. It knows it`s a lie and says so. As is most of the western myth.

@273kelvin I think that is why Ford filmed in B&W. He knew he was pulling back the curtain on a reality that never existed and wanted to give it an "old" feel.

@phil21 B&W mainlines into subconsciousness.

@phil21 I recommend " 5 came back " on netflix

@phil21 If you just go with the good guys bad guys I LOVE the modern western 'Silverado" and the music is great.

@silverotter11 Saw it once, years ago. I remember liking it.

@silverotter11 Best baddie has got to be Jack Palance in shane. He looked like he was the model for Skeletor.

High Noon is a gem of a movie, a very unflattering but all too accurate depiction of human character, set in a western setting. What does the movie suggest? That people are with you when the going is good, but will desert you when things get tough; that people are nice, but only until it costs them or they have to put themselves out for you; that a man (or woman) who goes out on a limb for a higher cause or the greater good is a rare thing. It's not UnAmerican, unless you equate the old west mythology with America. The themes of High Noon were more universal than that. For my money the scene in the church with Gary Cooper is superb, in his perfect subtle underplaying acting, and the meaning of the scene: people at prayer and avoiding reality.

Then I watch the news of yet another shooting, this time at a church. The shooter is chased by guys who went and got their own guns. Okay that`s a NRA type of story but what about all those volunteer fire services in small towns?

I put no credence in anything John Wayne said. High Noon is about as American as it gets.

As John was a racist twat I don't put much stock in any opinion he uttered.

d_day Level 7 Feb 11, 2018

From the man who claimed to have been too old to serve during WWII, he lied, that's fucking classic.

JimG Level 8 Feb 11, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23235
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.