Agnostic.com

4 4

QUESTION Medical Aid-In-Dying Must Continue and Reform - TheHumanist.com

The American Humanist Association was proud to work on this bill and fight for its passage, not just because we support individual autonomy and the right to have a medical aid-in-dying procedure, but because this law can stand as a template for how such legislation should look. By requiring the patient to receive the consent of so many doctors, and by ensuring the patient’s mental acuity and ability to self-administer the medicine, concerns (like Lane’s) over patients being forced into the procedure or not understanding the consequences of ingesting the medicine are effectively eliminated.

zblaze 7 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am finishing reading "Being Mortal". More doctors are realizing the quality of life is paramount to many people. "...our most cruel failure in how we treat the sick and the aged is the failure to recognize that they have priorities beyond merely being safe and living longer; that the chance to shape one's story is essential to sustaining meaning in life; that we have the opportunity to refashion our institutions, our culture, and our conversations in ways that transform the possibilities for the last chapters of everyone's lives"

Most of us will grapple with this issue and we need to speak up loudly to the governing bodies that we want change. Maybe as more people deal with the issue of seeing a loved one suffering needlessly change will happen. Perhaps if we demand that hospices get involved action will come. To me Death with Dignity is only a first step.

I saw that and got into a discussion with the group. The Humanist has a weekly blog and people can make comments. Kind of like here but with limited topics but more concrete information.

I additionally believe in assisted suicide in cases of diseases like ALS. (As an example) - you can still have cognition with almost no ability to self administer.
BTW when Hospice/Nurses start telling you that the family can "Push the self administered pain pump button?", you're probably assisting in dying with dignity. Been there done that - twice.

I support death with dignity. Many doctors in the US now agree that they would rather forgoe cancer treatments in favor of a shorter, but better quality of life. I think i heard it on a medical podcast a few months ago. Either that or it was on youtube. I wish I could remember the source. Bad Jayne.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23294
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.